7

Helllooooo my dear readers... How are you all holding up? I mean, I know it sucks to be at home but that's the only way that we can help in solving this great pandemic. Wear your mask and, be safe! 🤍 And well, you got me to entertain you... Sooo here's the new chapter... Happy reading! 🥰
_________________________________________________

“A dream is what the heart whispers to the silence of your mind”

“Don’t miss me Crescent. We gonna meet tomorrow.” Nyall smirked.
“Hahh! You bet.” I teased back. The air got filled with Nyall’s carefree laughter as he boarded off and, waved us a bye. Cayden gave him a nod and, we were on our way back home.
“I liked your friends you know. I mean, nothing flashy or bitch kinda, rather the ones you can actually trust. Good job there.” Cayden said.
“Mmm. They really are amazing.” I said in a quiet tone. Cayden took a glance at me and, then got his eyes back on the road.
“Are you okay? Something on your mind?” He interrogated.
“No… Nothing much. I am just tired. By the way, did you see the new girl?”
“There’s a new girl? I really had no idea.”
“Ya I mean, we share some classes. She was with Lorcan today and….” I couldn’t finish my sentence as Cayden hit the brakes and, turned towards me. “Ouuuuu…. Are you insane?” I asked rubbing my forehead that hit against the dashboard because of his sudden stupid action.
“YOU KNOW LORCAN?” His serious voice boomed in the car.
“Ya. He is my classmate.” I said still rubbing my forehead.
“How do you know him? For how long?” He asked again.
“Are you serious right now? I mean, did you really stop the car in the middle of nowhere just to ask me all these dumb questions? Are you high?”
“Don’t act smart right now. I asked you something.” I looked at him and realized he was dead serious. His reflexes kinda made me feel that I did some grave crime like murdering someone.
“I met him in cafeteria today. I-I bumped into him and, then I got to know him.” I said quietly. Well, nope, that's not where I met him but Cayden will freak out more if I tell him the truth. I mean, who am I kidding, he keeps secrets too!
“And he told you his name? That his name is… Lorcan?” He asked all confused.
“I mean… was he supposed to say something else apart from his own name?” I asked giving him a weird look.
“No… No, I mean yes-no, Yes!”
“WHICH IS IT?” I asked irritated.
“I DON”T KNOW ALRIGHT….” Cayden burst out and, I stared at him all wide eyed. “I really don’t. I just want you to stay away from him.”
“Why?”
“Cres, I really don’t wanna argue about it. You are staying away.” He insisted.
“This is a conversation and, not an argument. I need some goddamn reasons that why you are behaving like a dickhead right now.” I snapped back.
“He is bad news ok. He just- He’s not good for you.”
“OH MY GOD! Why are you talking like as if we have fucked each other and now I am carrying ‘HIS BABY’?”
“DID YOU-“
“Oh my God... GROW UP CAYDEN! FLASH NEWS- I AM STILL A VIRGIN. Do you really want me to rant my literally dry sex life right now in front of you so that I feel embarrassed and, also sad that I have never even kissed a guy and, that’s because my so called over-protective brother decides to scare off every guy I went on a date with because he felt they are not meant for me?” I paused so that I can breathe. Cayden was staring as if he saw Ironman! I was really pissed and, I had nothing to say to him anymore. He didn’t argue further and, rather started the car. I slouched back in my seat ignoring him for the rest of the ride.
The car ride was silent and, awkward. As soon as Cayden parked the car I stepped out and, headed in without a word. I straightaway went to my room and, locked myself in. I put on my headphones playing ‘Epiphany’ by Jin and, slammed my face against the pillow. Jin’s graceful voice really helped my sour mood. I really didn’t want to argue with Cayden but he just has a habit of messing things up. There are lots of questions that he needs to answer and, right now everything was going down the hill. As Jin’s high notes hit my ears I turned my head on to my left and gazed outside the balcony. It was gloomy and, I could see the clouds snuggling up to each other. The view was beautiful as usual. The curtains started flowing back and forth by the sudden rush of winds. I got up to close the door. The song changed to ‘Mystery of love’ by Sufjan Stevens. The view outside was really marvelous. The kind of weather one would really adore, not too sunny, or too cold yet perfect. I closed my eyes to feel the wind as my feet started moving to the slow rhythm of the song. I miss my contemporary dance lessons back at my hometown. That hit me, that I gotta call mom today. I opened my eyes slowly and, saw the Eno River flowing by. I stood for a while to inhale the beauty in front of me. As I heaved a sigh, my fingers dialed the number of my mom. Two rings and, I hear a familiar voice on the other side.
“Crescent?” Mom’s soft voice echoed through my ears and, I swear tears started brimming in my eyes. God, I miss her so much!
“Hey, mom!” I said finally.
“Oh my god baby, how have you been? Are you okay? I missed you.”
“Haha, yes. I am alright. I am sorry I couldn’t call you soon.” I said quietly.
“It is alright honey. I know you were struggling since it is a new place. How are you coping up with Cayden?” Her voice literally melted me.
“Uh-it’s good. I mean, we getting along okay. It’s just been three days mom.”
“I know. Just don’t hold on to your past grudges baby. Remember, Cayden really loves you. Anyways, tell me about your classes. Did you make any new friends? Any hot guys that took away your attention probably?” She said in a teasing tone and I giggled. “I just sat with my evening cup of tea. So, I am up for some gossip. Don’t be shy; let it all out, you know.”
Honestly, Cynthia was like the coolest mom one could ever ask for. Mom has been always like this. She was carefree and, strict at the same time. Thanks to her grounding rules that I didn’t end up getting knocked by some guy like other girls of my age did. Growing up, she has always been there for me. The first time I went on a date with a senior, my mom dressed up as a guy and, followed me to make sure that I was okay. I didn’t have the slightest idea that I was getting spied on until she spilled the beans regarding my date to my dad, before I did. I was shocked and, everyone ended up laughing at mom’s insane camouflage idea.
She knew how to balance her family and, her work life well. A woman; I really looked up to. Her giggles and, taunts were enough to convince me that she was happy about me getting used to my new life. She kept nagging me about Thyone and, as a good and responsible sister I am, I told her everything! She was astounded that Cayden was dating and, kept it as a secret. Talking to her, really made me forget all my worries. I was laughing, all carefree. She gave me some hot gossip about the new neighbor who moved in a day back.
“…. and then, your dad said that he saw Mr. Miller walk out of her house like early in the morning. Isn’t it weird?” She asked.
“Doesn’t he have like four kids? I mean, it’s obvious he is sleeping with her. I feel bad for Mrs. Miller. But wait, why was dad up so early?”
“Ouu, I forgot to tell you. Now that we both are officially free from ‘children’s duties’ you know, your dad enrolled himself to some spirituality shit that happens early in the morning.” She informed.
“You sure, he not a part of some cult? I mean, its dad we are talking about.” I said in a concerned tone.
“I won’t be surprised. But yeah, I should definitely ask him. Jeez, Crescent, I so miss you right now. Anyways, I will go start with dinner. Your dad will be home soon. You take care okay? I love you.”
“Love you too mom. Say hi to dad from my side.” My voice was low.
“I will. Take care honey. I will call you soon.” Saying, she hung up. As soon as I heard the click of the phone going off, I started feeling lonely. I do miss home, but this is me now. I put my phone aside and, looked up to the beautiful sight once again. Thunder rumbled in the distance and, I see a flash of lightning. Before I could get inside, the raindrops started falling. It was like feather touch at first, but soon the drops got big and, it started raining heavily. I ran back inside and, closed the balcony door. The room got dark and, I ran towards the switch board. I switched it on, but there was no light. I looked at the bulb and, pointing my finger I mouthed 'Lumos'! Nothing happened. Darn, I still need to work on my spells! However, this is not Hogwarts that I can go around lighting up bulbs with a spell. And, you can't use magic outside Hogwarts so it completely makes sense. I mean, it's not the spell, it's the fucking wrong world that I am in! Okay, enough of Harry Potter wizardry... I really need a flashlight. I walked out to look for my brother. Cayden was sprawled on the couch. I huddled over him to see if he was actually sleeping. His face looked too innocent. Do I look the same when I sleep? Ugh, cute! I tapped him once and, when he didn’t move I shook him hard. He got up by the sudden jerk and, stared at me all shocked.
“Where is the flashlight? There is a power cut probably.” I said quietly. He blinked a couple of times and, then turned to look out of the window.
“It’s raining?” He asked. I nodded. He heaved a sigh and, got up. Cayden went to the kitchen and, after a minute he was back with two flashlights. “Here, keep one with you. Did you close the balcony door?”
“I did. Do you want me to make dinner tonight?” I asked.
“Sure. I am craving for pasta and meatballs.” He gave me a cheeky smile. I heaved a sigh and, went to the kitchen. Typical Cayden slacking off from his duties by making me cover up for em!
That night, Cayden called off his shift as it was raining cats and dogs and, the power was not yet back. Him and I didn’t talk much about the car incident and, instead focused on our meal. I told him about mom and we joked around how the probability of dad being in a cult is high. After dinner, I took my sleeping pills and, went off to sleep.
The next day was a sunny one. I woke up to the sight of drenched leaves, grasses and, the aroma of wet, muddy ground. Mmm, I love it! It rained the whole night. I stepped out in the balcony, and, found it all covered in leaves and small twigs. My classes were in an hour so I rushed. Cayden was already ready and, we set off soon.
It was a good day. My classes went good and, I was excited to join my first day at work. As the final hour struck, I got up all elated and, rushed back home. I reached the bookshop around 3 pm and, surprisingly Mrs. Carter was there to greet me. As soon as she saw me, she gave me one of her charming smile. I changed and, got to my station. Mrs. Carter gave me some more instructions, and, then left wishing me luck. I was happy, that I get to live among the books for hours, that too alone. I was going through the register file when I hear the bell.
“Welcome to Purple Crows. How can I-“ I moved my gaze from the register to the person standing in front of me, and it was the new girl.
“Hi! Crescent right?” Her soft voice really gave my name a nice ring.
“Ya. You are the new girl. How can I help you…..”
“It’s Mirella. Mirella Hinsen.” She said smiling.
“Okay. Mirella, what are you looking for?’ I asked.
“Can you like tell me where can I get the historical fictions?”
“Sure. Please follow me.” I walk past her to the fiction section. She followed me like a little puppy. She was shorter than me and, had a funny aura. I couldn’t really read her which was very new to me.
She started rummaging through the books. I stood there to assist her in case she needs some help. It was awkward since we both were silent, and would just smile when our gaze would meet. I wanted to ask her about herself, but my mind was blank. Judging by her outlook, she is probably from some fancy rich family and, her parents really got some amazing genes.
“What do you think about this book?” Mirella’s voice brought me back to reality.
“Huh?”
“You read right? Have you read this book?” She asked again.
“What’s the name?”
“Selene of Alexandria by Faith L.Justice.” My pupils dilated as she enunciated each word slowly. I looked at her with terror but her eyes were still fixed on the book. Does she know something? Or, maybe I am procrastinating. I mean, there are thousands of people with that same name. But what are the odds?
“No. I didn’t.” I said, my voice all cracked. She looked up and, gave me a knowing smile.
“You know the name, Selene… right Crescent?” She asked with a smirk as her gaze was fixed on me.
Oh boy! I am getting killed tonight.
_________________________________________________
Duhhh... Seems like someone is in danger! Gaawwddd, Mirella is sus right now. What do you guys think? Who is she? Well, I miss Lorcan and, our mysterious silhouette! Hahaaaahaaaaaa... They both will be back soon! 😗 Till then, stay safe guys and, please take precautions if you go out... Thank you for supporting.. Please keep sharing, voting and, commenting. Loads of love!🤍

P.S.- BANG BANG CON WAS SUCH A HIT! 😭💜 JIMIN TOOK MY HEART THAT DAY... Anyway, are you guys getting your BTS McDonald's meal? I am unlucky since it won't be served at our place!!! 😭😭😭