1. adapting to new life

°°° Expect the unexpected °°°

Anika

"The number you are calling is not responding at the moment please call again later" the recorded voice of lady repeated against my ears making me sign in disappointment.

I held the phone tight till my knuckles turned to white. I don't know why this happening to me. The owner of the apartment i booked is not receiving my call. My father only allowed 20000 per month and i almost used most of the money to rent this apartment.

Ma'am can you please move out from here. You are disturbing other passengers..... The security guard of airport asked me politely. I nodded my head and stood up from there dragging the suitcase.

I have nowhere to go and don't know anyone here. I even thought to call my brother but then dropped the idea as i don't want my father to know about my state. If he know my situation he will take me from here and force me to follow his roots.

excuse me..... Suddenly someone tapped on my shoulder, I turned around and saw a girl. She is looking like two or three years younger than me. She is wearing a black shorts with a white crop top with a black cardigan on it. I felt some familiarity in her.

Are you anika?..... She asked with a doubt on her face.

Yes I am .Who are you? How do you know my name?...... I asked back. I frowned thinking she might be a spy from my father to watch my movements. But then relieved thinking if she is my father's spy she will never come Infront of me.

Anika Didi it's me Priyanka your junior in college. You even helped me from bullies back then...... She said smiling. An excitement of seeing me after a long time was evident on priyanka's face.

Priyanka! Omg you changed so much ..... I said looking at her from head to toe. Indeed she changed so much that we can't never identify her as the typical girl in full sleeve salwar kameez wearing a large spectacles when she was in college.

But I missed you. Where were you at the graduation party? I searched the whole college but didn't find you. I even asked your friends but they don't know anything about you....... Suddenly She hugged me wrapping her hands around my neck. Composing myself I hugged her back. More than my junior she is a little sister to me. But somewhere between our touch left.

That question stunned me. I felt like someone reopened my wounds and sprinkled salt on it. That incident haunting me since back then. If i had attended the graduation party, if i didn't return to the dorm to change my dress,Thanks to the guy who accidentally spilled the drink on my dress or maybe i would have regretted my whole life.

I don't know what to answer for her question and like God heard my prayers her phone rang before I reply to her.

Hello bro...... I heard her calling bro someone affectionately. It must be her brother.

Bro what is the need of sending car to pick me up. I can come by myself. You guys are still treating me as baby....... She said sweetly. I heard some of the parts but later thought I must be invading her privacy. So I move a little forward giving her some space.

After sometime I was fiddling with my phone when she walked towards me ending the call.

Didi my brother send a car to pick me. I can drop you at your place and also we can spend sometime together...... Priyanka said to me putting her phone back in bag.

I baffled thinking what will I reply to her. How can I tell her the apartment i booked was lost and I have nowhere to go. I can't pressure her with my problems.

Di..... Di...... She placed her hand on my shoulder breaking me from the thoughts.

You look like in some trouble. If you don't mind share it with me. I will help you if I can...... She asked in worry. I somewhat needed someone to share my problems.

Actually........... I told her my current situation. After hearing it She seems to be in deep thoughts. I thought she can't help me so not to trouble her. But her next words shocked me.

Didi I think I have a solution. My brother stay in this city maybe he can help us...... Priyanka said making me sign in relief.

Thank you Priyanka I don't know what will I do without you. You solved my biggest problem....... I said emotionally. Suddenly i felt I am one step ahead to my dreams.

No need to thank me. Its nothing Infront of what you did for me...... She said holding my hands. I patted her hands gratefully.

The car her brother send to pick her came. We both loaded our luggage inside the car with the help of driver.

After 20 minutes the car reached a gate. Two securities opened the door and entered inside the golden paradise. I saw this place on TV. Most of the richest man in India lives there. I wondered thinking who will be her brother.

Didi we reached here........ Priyanka said to me opening the door on her side.

Does your elder brother lives here...... I asked her in shock as soon as I stepped out.

No but he has an apartment here. He will only come here when we siblings are together...... She replied smiling. Her dreamy eyes showed the love and caring between them.

Come let's go inside...... She dragged my hand entering the elevator. She pressed the 36th floor.

Di do you have any siblings?..... She asked me curiously. That made me remember my brother. We both used to fight each other like Tom and Jerry. But we can't stay away from each other too long. He cried so much when I planned to stay here. But I somehow made him understand that he can come to see me whenever he wants.

Yes I have a little brother who is two years younger than me...... I said sadly. I am missing him now.

And you miss him right..... She said just like she can read my mind.

Hmm... I hummed in response.

It's ok I am also your little sister right. Whenever you miss him come to me..... She said making me smile.

Sure..... I replied back smiling. she is behaving like a matured one realising my every problems.

Our talk falls on a full stop when the elevator stopped at 36th floor. We came outside walking towards her brother's apartment.

She rang the bell and we waited for some one to open the door. I heard footsteps approaching the door and it creaked open revealing the man inside.

You.......... I stood there shocked after seeing the person.

***************************

Express your views and press the star button if you like the story.

                               Yours
                      - Anagha Krishna ♥️ -