CH 2 - Beloved Subject

The next day.

Jimin is preparing himself for meeting with His Majesty. He is wearing his official court attire, helped by his servant. His silver long hair combed carefully and a part of it tied up like a bun before he put his simple silver with green jade headwear.

He also draws a plum blossom at the centre of his forehead, making him look definitely charming. The plum blossom marking is a symbol for his status as Plum Section next inheritor.
Then he put a drop of essence in his both eyes to conceal the real colours of it. Now, both of his eyes are black but it will only stay for eight hours foremost. That's why Jimin is seldomly walking and strolling outside of his mansion. People call him a monster and he didn't want to scare them. So he stays inside unless the Emperor calls for him.

"Young Master, the Prime Minister already waiting for you at the front hall." A servant informed Jimin.

"Alright, let's go! We can't be late." He replied before rushing to meet his father.

When both of them arrived at the palace, they were brought to the Emperor's study hall by Eunuch Han. They greeted the Emperor respectfully.

"Greeting to Your Majesty!" Both father and son uttered in sync, their bodies lowered down.

"Rise! This King is delighted to see both of you." The Emperor laughs. Prime Minister Park and Jimin thanked the Emperor.

"Today, this King called for you to discuss a few things." The Emperor's voice sounds serious.

"Please, tell us what is in Your Majesty's mind! We try our best to help Your Majesty feel at ease." Prime Minister Park said. The Emperor smiles.

"This King has sent the Crown Prince to solve the riot at South City. What do my beloved subjects think about it?" He speaks.

"This subject has no objection and it is good for the Crown Prince to learn about politics. Forgive this bold subject, His Highness has a strong foundation but lack of practicality. By going down in the field, he will understand the importance of people and responsibilities." The Prime Minister said, head still lowered down.

The Emperor hummed, his eyes lingered on Jimin who stands modestly besides his father. He then picks up a scroll and gives it to Jimin. Jimin receives it and looks at it. His eyes widened when he saw the image in it. He immediately kneels down but says nothing.

"Can you recognize who is in the drawing?" The Emperor asked amusedly.

"Yes, Your Majesty!" Jimin answered calmly but his inside screamed frantically. Why is he in there? Who drew his portrait? Jimin is nervous.

"Do you know who drew it?" The Emperor asked again but with a bit more pressure.

"This subject didn't know!" Jimin still answered carefully.

Actually drawing a portrait is forbidden and banned under the rules of the last Emperor. The Emperor now also still didn't lift up the rules so finding a portrait of Jimin is considered as a crime. The Emperor stares at the gorgeous man and sighed.

"It was the Crown Prince!" He revealed.

Prime Minister Park gasped before he also kneels down on the floor. Jimin's face paled and his hands trembled. His mind is in chaos. The Emperor is not looking at them and back-faced them. Both father and son frowned.

"This King won't blame you. This King only feels troubled. The Crown Prince already has his principal wife as Crown Princess. He also already has four concubines. This King feels so anxious that he might have affection for you, Jimin! That's why this King sent him outside the capital to distract him from thinking about you." The Emperor closed his eyes.

He feels humiliated towards his beloved subjects. Park Sungjae and Park Jimin are his trusted people and he adores them so much. He can't believe that his son and future heir has a lecherous behaviour.

"The Crown Prince is stubborn. This King knows he will not give up on you, Jimin! This King also doesn't want you to become someone's consort. You deserve to be more than that. Tell this King, do you have anyone in your mind? This King will betrothed you to him or her. No matter man or woman, this King won't discriminise." The Emperor speaks magnanimously.

"T-this subject understands Your Majesty meant. But, this subject doesn't have anyone. He just wants to focus on learning medicines and poisons r-right now." Jimin answered stutteringly.

The Emperor sighs again. He lets out a long exhale. He stares somewhere absent-mindedly as if he was thinking deeply. His hand on his back and he is walking back and forth slowly. Jimin and Prime Minister Park's back are drenched with sweats.

"This King actually wants you to be my son-in-law but doesn't know what your preferences are. You are not just beautiful but intelligent too. This King adores you father and son so much and wants only the best for you. But, this King will not force you. If you don't want to marry yet, this King will hold on the thought first."

There the Emperor has already said it. Prime Minister Park lets out a quiet sigh. He can guess the Emperor's mind recently as he knows that Jimin caught His Majesty's eyes. But, he was actually reluctant to give his son in the hand of the royal family. He knows so well how dark and vicious they are. How can he let Jimin enter the tiger den willingly?

He's relieved that the Emperor said he won't force Jimin now. However, he is definitely aware that His Majesty only steps back temporarily. He is sure that the Emperor will match Jimin with one of his childrens eventually. Prime Minister Park can't help to feel worried but his face remains calm.

"What does he mean? Me? As his son-in-law? Oh lord!" Jimin thought to himself.

"This subject thanks His Majesty on behalf of my son. This subject is very honored that Your Majesty has affection towards him. We thanked Your Majesty for being benevolent." Prime Minister Park said calmly.

"Don't worry! This King will never agree to the Crown Prince wants. This King will protect you. If ever you are ready to marry, let this King know so I can grant you a grand wedding. Even if your spouse is not between any of my childrens. This King can promise you that." The Emperor gives them warm and sincere smiles.

Jimin feels so touched by the Emperor's generosity and affection. Ever since he lost his mother a few years ago, he has been taken under the Emperor's wing and often receiving gifts from him. While he is grateful towards the Emperor, to be his son-in-law is not something that Jimin wants to dream of. He is only a peasant, with defects and fear by people. He can't afford to offend the royalties.

Prime Minister Park who held out his breath inside the Emperor's study hall, exhaled heavily once they stepped out from the door. He has to have a long talk with his son as soon as possible. He is confirmed that they can't get away from the Emperor's clutch.

"Son, let's have a talk later. Father has something to discuss with you." He said.

Jimin, confused looking at his father's sour face just nodded and followed behind him back to their mansion. He wonders what's the matter that his father wants to discuss about? Must be about the conversation with the Emperor just now. Jimin is nervous.