CH 34 - It's all over

Jeongguk barges into the Emperor’s sleeping chamber, disregarding all the guards at the door. The Emperor who is sitting at the bed was shocked looking at his son who is in fury and with a distracted look.

“Son, what’s wrong?” He asked softly.

“Father Emperor, please tell me about the Night Wanderer! Please tell me that you know how to meet with the Night Wanderer! Please…” Jeongguk kneeling in front of the Emperor.

“W-what?” The Emperor is appalled.

“Jimin...he is in danger! Please, I need to know where the Night Wanderer is!” Jeongguk earnestly asked.

“Jimin? What happened to him?” The Emperor straightened his sitting posture.

Jeongguk then told him everything and it made the Emperor frown with sadness. He didn’t know that Jimin had suffered so much.

“Son, to be honest, this father had never met with the Night Wanderer. Your grandfather had told me about it before he died but I always didn’t take it too seriously. I am sorry!” The Emperor confessed.

“Fine, I’ll find the Night Wanderer by myself!” Jeongguk stands up, preparing to leave the Emperor’s chamber when he hears the Emperor’s next word.

“I might not know much about the Night Wanderer but your late grandfather had passed to me a treasure box when he was on his deathbed. That box contained information about the Night Wanderer but I had never been interested to open it before!” The Emperor said.

“Are you telling the truth?” Jeongguk asked.

“Yes, I never told you lies!” He replies.

“But, you did lie to me about mother!” Jeongguk couldn't help but become enraged when the Emperor said he would never lie.

“Son, you really misunderstood me! I think you should know the truth now! I never told you about it before because it was a promise between your mother and me! But, I don’t want to keep you in the dark anymore!” The Emperor calmly said.

“W-what do you mean?” Jeongguk questioned.

“Your mother is not dead! She just chose to leave this palace on her own!” The emperor said.

“Don’t tell me bullshit! I don’t believe you!” Jeongguk is in disbelief.

“Your mother is not a mortal! She descended from the heavenly realm to our world to experience love and despair. Those experiences were trials for her to become a Goddess. I was only a stepping stone for her to reach her Goddess title, when I am so much in love with her!” The Emperor revealed the truth.

“N-nonsense!” Jeongguk lost his mind over the ridiculous revelation.

“It was the truth, son! Believe it or not, this father has no intention to keep it a secret from you anymore!” The Emperor sighed painfully.

Jeongguk is in utter disbelief and trying to digest what his father said to him. His mother is a Goddess? Trial? Experience love and despair?

“When the arson happened, I knew about it three days before and your mother was the one who told me about it. She said, that’s the perfect timing for her to leave the mortal world. Yes, it was a conspiracy of one of my concubines but your mother who actually used that to her advantage. She is so adamant on keeping it secret to you because you are still small at that time and cannot understand the situation. She also did that to protect you.”

“How did she marry you when she is not a mortal?” Jeongguk asked.

“She had been a mortal when she married me but after she died from the arson, only her body left here but her soul ascended to heaven realm, living the title Goddess there.” The Emperor answered patiently.