CH 10 - Courting Gift

Prime Minister Park went home with a sulky and dark face. Jimin, who saw his darkening face, comes and entertains his father.

“Father, why are you gloomy again?” He asked concernedly.

Park Sungjae stares at his son fondly before he sighs. There’s a hint of helplessness in his eyes.

“This father had gone to Min Residence to discuss your match making with their eldest son. Unfortunately, they said that Min Young Master is not ready yet to marry. This father failed to arrange a marriage between you two.” He exhaled.

Jimin is so embarrassed. He can’t believe that his father just proposed to Min’s Young Master and got rejected like that. He knows and is aware of his father’s intention to let him marry someone that is not from the royal family as soon as possible.

However he didn’t know that it would be this fast. To be honest, he is quite relieved that the eldest Young Master Min refused to be betrothed with him. Jimin actually didn’t want to marry someone that he never met and he’s afraid that someone might already hold his heart.

But, he knows that he is not supposed to have feelings for someone that is unknown. When he thought about it, he bits his bottom lip. What is he supposed to do?

“F-father, it’s okay! This son is not in a rush to get married at all.” Jimin softly said.

“Jimin-ah, even if you’re not in a rush, this father is anxious! We have discussed this before, right? You know we can’t escape from His Majesty’s clutch! It’s better to get away now rather than to have regrets later.” The Prime Minister said, with a firm tone.

Jimin feels guilty now. Looking at his father’s worried face, he is struck with anxiety. His father is right, they needed to be fast if they didn’t want the Emperor to grant him a decree of marriage towards his princes or princesses. Jimin got goosebumps.

“Then, what do you have in mind? Why me? Am I not allowed to choose my own mate at all?” Jimin asked his father, voice choking with tears.

He feels so helpless. He is not a toy nor a doll. He didn’t want to be forced into marriage. Sometimes, he wonders if he, himself, was born with unlucky stars? Why does he have to attract so much trouble? He didn’t wish to be born like that either.

Prime Minister Park hugs his son to coax him. Jimin sobs on his father’s chest. His father caressed his hair softly. He is struggling too. While he is thankful that his son is an exquisite man, he is in trouble too because Jimin’s uniqueness is admired by the lion itself, which for him is not a very good prospect for his son’s future.

“Master, Young Master! There is someone at the door asking for an audience with Young Master!” Father and son’s moment interrupted by a servant.

“Who is it?” Prime Minister Park asked.
“This servant doesn't know.” The servant answered.

Jimin wipes his tears and frowns. But, he quickly replies to his father that he wants to meet with the person. Park Sungjae sighs and lets him go. He didn’t forget to remind his son to be careful. Jimin nodded politely.

When he saw the person at the door, Jimin gracefully greeted him. That man wore a full black attire but with a kind of high quality silk. That man gives Jimin a box without any words.
Jimin takes it and opens it. He gasped as he found an item in the box. It is a night pearl. A kind of expensive treasury. Usually those who have this night pearl are among royalties only. But why is this precious night pearl here, in his hand? He looks confused.

“Who are you? Why are you giving me this?” Jimin asked.

“Forgive me, for not introducing myself! I am Min Yoongi, His Highness the Third Prince’s right hand man.” Yoongi bowed politely.

“Min Yoongi? Isn’t he the eldest son of Min’s family? How can he be the Third Prince’s right man?” Jimin is puzzled.

“Third Prince?” Jimin asked again.

“Yes.” Yoongi unhurriedly replied.

Jimin heard about the Third Prince who is very cold, ruthless and cruel. He is a man with no bullshit and does his own thing without caring for others. A thought about His Highness sending chills to Jimin’s bones.

“M-may I know, why are you here with this item?” He asked.

“I am here on behalf of the Third Prince, Jeon Jeongguk, to send you this night pearl as a court gift. His Highness wants to give this by himself but he is currently dealing with some matters that he cannot do that. He wishes that you are happy with the gift.” Yoongi said respectfully.

Jimin’s face paled. His lips quivering.

“C-court gift? What the hell? The Ice King sending me a court gift? Am I dreaming?” He screamed inside his mind.

“Ho-how did His Highness suddenly send me a courting gift? I-I don't think we have ever met before? How can he-” Jimin is totally confused.
Min Yoongi smiles.

“He will tell you all by himself when the time comes. Please, be patient and wait for His Highness to come to you face to face.”

Jimin is stunned and dead-panned. He couldn't believe he had caught Jeon Jeongguk’s eyes. He didn’t know if this news was good for him or only brought him a disaster. Who doesn’t know about His Highness’s cruelty. Although Jimin doesn’t trust the rumors much, he can’t help but fear the man too.

Now he really wants to meet the mysterious helper so much. Involvement with a royal prince is a big thing and worrisome. Jimin is stricken with panic.

“Our Third Highness is a good man. Please don’t believe the rumors easily.” Yoongi felt the need to clarify when he saw how pale Jimin’s face became.

“Y-yeah, please say thanks to the Third Highness on my behalf. This night's pearl, I like it.” Jimin said half-hearted.

“Alright, then I will excuse myself. Farewell!” Min Yoongi immediately disappeared once he bowed to Jimin.

Jimin stares in front absent-mindedly. Min Yoongi is His Highness Third Prince’s right hand man. Does his marriage proposal get rejected because of that reason? If the Third Prince wants to court him, then what is the point to avoid royal marriage? How can he escape from His Highness’s eyes after this? He gulped before he sighed heavily.