CH 30 - The Emperor Fury

A month later.

The Emperor is in his study chamber and one of his ministers is reading a report by the people in front of him. The Emperor inspected the documents on his table while hearing Minister Yang reporting.

“Your Majesty, there are few reports and complaints from the people about His Highness Crown Prince’s behaviour. His Highness was seen at the brothel almost every night and making fuss there, disturbing the peace. Many argued whether he is suitable to be the Crown Prince anymore.” Minister Yang said.

The Emperor gritted his teeth, feeling angry and ashamed of what the Crown Prince did. After Jeongguk and Jimin’s wedding, the Crown Prince became more unscrupulous and forbearing. Drinking everyday even in the daylight, getting drunk, causing havoc on the street and neglecting his duty as the Crown Prince.

“How many complaints are there about the Crown Prince’s action?” The Emperor pinched his throbbing head.

“More than 10, Your Majesty! They are asking for the Crown Prince’s abdication as they didn’t trust him anymore. He will cause more harm if he ascends the throne.” Minister Yang is shivering.

The Emperor throws a punch on the table, making all the documents fall down. He is so angered that he feels that his head is gonna explode. What a fool of a son he has! Now, people are questioning him, the Emperor’s credibility on choosing the next heir.

“Your Majesty, this servant got information that the Crown Prince is colluding with merchants from the South, raising taxes for salts and cheating the people.” Jung whispered to the Emperor’s ear.

“Audacious! How can he as a Crown Prince of this country dare to do that to the innocent people? Not only being lecherous but also being a bastard! This King can’t believe this!” The Emperor shouted, angrier.

Suddenly there's an announcement from the servant of the Crown Princess’s attendant, asking for an audience. The Emperor frowned but he let her in.

“Forgive this daughter-in-law for disturbing Your Majesty!” The Crown Princess politely greets, lowering her body a little bit as a respect.

“Rise! What’s the matter for you to have an audience with this King?” The Emperor asked.
“This daughter has something to complain about and wishes for these things to be judged by Father Emperor!” She said, the tone slightly wavered.

“Go on! This King will hear it!” He approved.

“Your Majesty, His Highness Crown Prince indulged in pleasure these few months, neglecting his duty not only as a Crown Prince but as a father. There are many times that this daughter finds His Highness having a pleasure with his concubines in Jun’s courtyard.” The Crown Princess trying to hold her pain.

“He was supposed to visit our son, Jun for his lesson but instead, he let Jun see him having fun with another woman shamelessly. This action made me, this daughter feels so disgusted and angry for the sake of my son!”

“What? That bastard!” The Emperor is shocked.

His face became more black and distorted.

“This daughter doesn't have any problem if he wants to take how many concubines he wants. This daughter just feels so angry and unfair that he dares to do the intimate things that should be only in the bedroom in front of his son’s eyes. This daughter already had enough and this is already my bottom line!” She is crying.

The Emperor is speechless as he feels so displeased with the Crown Prince. He stares at the Crown Princess sadly.

“When did this thing happen?” He asked.

“The fourth day after Prince Jeon’s wedding, Your Majesty!” She answered.

The Emperor definitely understands the reason why she is answering him by that answer. She absolutely knew of the Crown Prince’s infatuation towards Park Jimin. He can conclude that the Crown Prince became more absurd after Jimin’s wedding because of frustration.

The Emperor sighed heavily. He walks back and forth, puzzling about the Crown Prince matter. He is pressured because of people’s demand to renounce the Crown Prince position and because of how humiliated he feels about his son’s dirty act.

“Your Majesty, besides that this daughter also has other things to report!” The Crown Princess gathered her courage.

The Emperor looked at her, nodded.

“A few months ago, His Highness attempted to kidnap Park Jimin by poisoning him with White Bone Carera! Thankfully, His Highness Third Prince saved Jimin and retrieved the antidote from the Crown Prince. He also killed a few innocent servants to alleviate his anger.” She told the truth, hands clasping and trembling.

The Emperor’s face turned darker. What a monster his son is! Why is he becoming evil like that? The Empress must know about this too but she kept quiet. She is always protecting her beloved son. There’s no way as smart as she is, she didn’t know about her son’s corruption.

“Alright, this King knows! This King will make sure he received his punishment! Attempting kidnapping and using poison in indecent ways are crimes! This King will not be lenient even though he is my blood related!” The Emperor had enough.

“Your Majesty, can this daughter ask for a request?” The Crown Princess hesitated but she hardened her heart.

“Let this King hear it!” The Emperor said.

“Forgive this daughter but I want to divorce His Highness Crown Prince! This daughter cannot live with him any longer! This daughter earnestly asks for Your Majesty’s benevolent to set me free! I’ve been a Crown Princess for almost 10 years and there’s not one day that I feel happy! This daughter begged you to let me find my own happiness!” She bowed down to the floor, crying.

The Emperor is shocked but he understands her pleas. She must have suffered all this time being a Crown Princess. Her husband was also a scumbag and didn’t treat her well. She deserves to be happy.

“But, can you bear being a divorcee? You might not get a chance to remarry and your status will be lower than a Crown Princess.” The Emperor asked, worried about his daughter-in-law getting backlash from people.

“This daughter is willing to! I don’t care what people are going to think of me but I don't have the heart to stay here any longer. Everyday is a torturous day for me and I refuse to keep being caged in this place. Please, accept my humble plea, Your Majesty!” She sticks with her decision.

“How about Jun? He still needs prince education because it’s what he deserves!” The Emperor’s heart is getting heavy.

“Regarding Jun, this daughter will bring him to the palace for his education! Please, don’t worry, Your Majesty!” She said as she already prepared for the answer.

The Emperor sighed. He didn’t want to let her go but he also wanted her to be happy. If he forces her to stay in the palace more, he is sure that she will lose her heart in the future. She will live like a lifeless body, fulfilling her duties but with no passion anymore. The Emperor refused to torment her so he accepted her beseech.

“This King understands! I will issue a decree of your divorcement after the Crown Prince’s punishment announcement in a few days. Thank you for all of your commitment being a Crown Princess and my daughter-in-law. This King wishes for your happiness ever after!” He picked her up from where she bowed.

“This daughter thanks Your Majesty for your grace! This daughter owes Your Majesty for a lifetime!” She speaks sincerely.