Saiph

"We would like to invite interested students to come forward and apply." Albus Dumbeldore spoke.

Albus Dumbeldore, Minerva McGonagall and Severus Snape stood at the front of our auditorium. They were there to propose an exchange program. Applicants would have the oppritunity to attend Hogwarts for a year and their students would come in our place.

"Saiph, you should apply. You're family is from there, aren't they?" my closest friend Wendy whispers.

"If you apply, I'm applying too. I can't imagine a year without you." my boyfriend John tells me and takes my hand.

Smiling, I turn to Wendy. "I really might. I've exhausted our library in trying to find more information."

I'm a direct decendant of Merlin. That's basically all I know. My name is Saiph Black, a fifth year. We'd just taken our O.W.L.s, and I was an orphan. Apparently, my parents and our house all burned down in one night. They'd found me at the age of eight staring at it. Of course, I wasn't to blame for it but they'd taken me straight to the orphanage. I hadn't known of my magical abilites until they'd sent the letter.

The orphanage sent me straight away, one less mouth to feed. Ilvermorny was generous and let me just stay for holidays. This was quite literally my home. My parents were from somewhere in Europe, that's all I'd known.

I'd just filled out my application and went to the front to hand it in when I notice Severus Snape staring at me. I give him a confused look as I approach Dumbeldore with a smile on my face.

"Hello, Ms. Black." Dumbeldore says slowly reading my name from my application. He looks over his glasses to examine me.

"Hello, sir." I say extending my hand. He reaches out for my hand and I feel something pushing in my mind.

Legimancy, I was well aware. I shake my head and put up my Occulmency walls and turn my head to the Snape.

"Was it you?" I ask.

He doesn't respond, just sneers at me. Fine. Why would he though?

"Is everything okay, Ms. Black?" Dumbeldore asks me. I nod and put on my best smile. "Good, why would you be a good fit to come to Hogwarts?"

"Sir, my family attended Hogwarts. I would greatly appreciate the oppritunity to research them more. They'd passed away before I knew of my magical abilites."I say confidently.

"You're parents, you say. What were their names?" Dumbeldore asks in a very serious tone.

"Regulus and Judith Black." I say, vaguely remembering thier faces.

I hear a gasp from Snape as he stands and walks over to me. He circles around me taking in my apperance.

"It can't be." he says.

"Severus, have a seat please. You're scaring the young woman." Minerva tells him. Realizing he'd broken his cold exterior he sits and stares at me again.

"Sir, I want to know more about my family. I'm grateful for everything I have here, but I can't even remember my parents faces."I say honestly feeling a wave of sadness rushing over me. I haven't even told my closest friends that.

"We will consider your application. Look for our owl." Albus nods indicating my interview was over. I nod, thank him for his time adn rush back to my friends.

"How'd it go?" Wendy asks me excitedly.

"I hope well."I say looking over my shoulder unsure.

John nods. "I'm going to submit mine."

___________________________

Two months later:

Ms. Saiph Black,

Upon further discussion with your teachers and classmates, we'd like to accept your offer to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Attached you will find the list of required learning equipment for sixth years. We look forward to you're attendance next year.

Minerva McGonagall

I did it. I got in. I screamed waking Wendy who shot me a hurtful look.

"I'm in!"I scream to her.

Realization hits her as she tackles me on my bed. I hug her and laugh.

"You're in. I wonder if John got in." she says.

That's right, John applied too. We'd been going out now for six months. He's an alright guy. Sometimes the spark isn't there but he treats me well. Iknow he'd do anything for me, even moving to a new school for a year.

Wendy and I got showered and dressed for the day and find him in the dining hall. He looks defeated as we take our seats next to him.

"I didn't get in."He whispers to me, laying his head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, babe." Isay to him stroking his hair.

"Blegh, you two are too cute. However, our lucky Saiph did." she says excitedly.

His eyes open wide as he looks at me.

"Well, have a good year, I suppose." He says seperating from me.

That hurt. I thought he'd been happy. I knew he wouldn't be looking forward to me being gone, but I'd thought he'd be happy for me having the chance.

"I'll owl you everyday." I say reaching for his hand. He pulls away giving me a small smile, standing, and leaving Wendy and I.

I look at Wendy who shrugs and pulls out the parchement with the list of supplies I'd need. She'd quickly changed the focus onto the supplies I'd need. I actually had some of them and grinned.

I have a decent amount of money left over from my parents. Wendy loved shopping and agreed to go with me this weekend. Our examinations had finished and we had one final weekend in the city before summer vacation.

The week went by fairly quickly. John still talked to me but distantly. Anytime I'd bring up Hogwarts he'd change the subject. I guessed we weren't going to talk about it so I'd let it go.

Wendy and I went shopping succesfully finding the majority of the things on my list. I was leaving my pet owl with her while Iwent so she could mail me. Her name was Felicity and she was a barn owl.

Wendy agreed to come with me to the airport. Hogwarts wanted to fly us out early to get settled. John didn't come find me as I was leaving so I hadn't gotten the chance to say goodbye. I'd be lying if I was trying to tell you it didn't hurt. Between him barely speaking with me and now this I wasn't sure where it went wrong.

"Give him time, he'll come around." Wendy tells me giving me a hug goodbye.

"I'll write as soon as I can." I say returning her embrace.

Seperating from my only friend I nod and pull my luggage along.