Chapter thirty four

Chapter thirty four:

'SNAP'

I flickered my eyes open when I heard the sound. I lifted my head slowly not wanting to get up, and saw everyone was still asleep and no one was up. The horses were still tied up too. I looked around for any sign of something in the woods and rubbed my sleepy eyes but I saw nothing. It was still pretty dark but I could tell it was in the morning.

'SNAP'

I heard it again, but this time behind me. I whipped my head around and still saw nothing but still got up and put on my belt with my sword and left my bow behind, ready to attack if needed while making sure my dagger was still there too.

"Hello? Who is it?" I croaked with my morning voice.

I heard footsteps moving away and I inched closer. Then the footsteps started moving faster into a run so I did too. It didn't make sense why I couldn't see whatever was ahead of me as I chased it further into the woods not thinking about how I would get back.

I chased the stranger until I came to a river and the footsteps disappeared not going left or right because the mud on the ground would have shown them. But no, the footsteps just stop at the edge of the river like they jumped in or something.

My feet kept getting stuck as I walked closer to the water and kneeled down to wash my face to help wake me up so I know I wasn't dreaming. I was about to dip my hands in again when I heard a snap from somewhere but I couldn't tell with the rushing of the water.

I say still for a minute looking across the water for any sign of life but didn't and came to a conclusion that I was being paranoid and went to reach in the water again until someone touched my shoulder.

"Agh!" I spun around so fast I started to fall into the water before I was stopped by a pair of hands.

I looked up to see Alex still tired from sleep as he pulled me up from being mere inches from the speedy water rushing beneath me.

"Nice reflexes." I smirked looking him in the eyes still scared out of my mind from two seconds ago.

"Sorry I scared you, and thanks," he smiled, "but what are you doing out here away from camp?"

"Uh...Well I thought I saw, no, heard someone and I chased them down here but I lost them. I never really saw them, but I'm positive it was real."

"Okay, but lest go eat something before we leave so your brain can work again. Can you register what I'm saying?" he joked, but I could tell something bothered him that he wasn't saying.

"Ugh, what's with you and eating food all the time." I laughed pushing him a little.

"I like food, and, gotta keep these bad boys big and strong." he flexed his arms showing off his biceps.

"Show off." I mumbled smiling before walking ahead smelling food in the direction of camp.

"Hey, wait up!" Alex said running to my side.

"Yeah Mr. Muscle?" I joked.

"This!"

He shoved a handful of mud into my face and rubbed it in smearing it around then took his hand away.

I gasped wiping the mud from my eyes so I could see and hopefully look for something to shove in his face.

"Oh you're just full of jokes today aren't you?" I commented annoyed with the mud and how bad it smelled.

I found some leaves and took what mud I had on my face and splattered it on his face then shot leaves on making him look like a bush. Alex looked surprised and wiped it off too grabbing me and throwing me over his shoulder as he started to run back to camp and I pounded on his chest protesting and laughing at the same time.