Chapter twenty five

Chapter twenty five:

I awoke to a ray of light hitting my face as the sun rose and it was still early in the morning. I sat up, my back a little sore from sleeping on the ground.

I reached for the pack of things Loressa brought and dumped out the bag. Inside were several things.

A mirror, many little tubes, aloe, lotion, a brush and an extra change of clothing. I looked at myself in the mirror she gave me and realized I looked better than I thought.

My face had bruised around and was sore to the touch and what looked like claw marks on my cheek where I was scratched, and the other side I had a small bruise under my eye and it was swollen a little. But my neck was fine and I was happy about that.

I brushed out my hair and braided it to the side, then using the tubes Loressa gave me and helped heal the marks on my face before I went to go find Alex.

***************************

I finally covered up my face the best I could and slipped out of the stables and into the castle.

I made my way to my room and started from there. Alex told me how to get there from my room once for in case of an emergency and soon I made it there without being noticed.

I knocked on the door but received no answer. So I knocked again but again no answer. I twisted the knob to find it opened and I entered then closed the door behind me.

I saw Alex sleeping on his bed which looked similar to mine. I walked over to him wondering if I should wake him up seeing how peaceful he looked. I shook his shoulder trying to awake him but no reaction. I also realized he was still in his clothes from yesterday. I shook him even harder but then again nothing. So I finally took the pillow out from under him and hit him in the head with it as hard as I could.

He woke up so fast he felt out of bed tangled in the sheets as I tried not to laugh at him. He sat up rubbing the sleep from his eyes and all around his face.

"What the-" he started and then looked at me, complete shock coming over his face.

"Hey," I managed holding back a laugh.

"Oh Katelynn I'm-Whoa!" He stood up but still tangled in the sheets he fell over again.

I couldn't help but laugh as he struggled with the blankets for several minutes. He finally took control and plopped the blankets onto his bed.

"Katelynn, I'm so sorry I need to explain about all of this." he said sorrow in his eyes.

"No, I came to apologize for I know you did nothing wrong and my mother was just mad." I smiled to add to the sincerity in my words.

"Thank goodness! But your face must be sore." He lightly touched the marks on my cheek and I flinched because of the pain. He sighed pulling me into a bear hug, his sweet sent of pine and mint enveloping me as I returned the hug back wrapping my arms around his back.

He pulled back and laughed as he said, "Please, just next time wake me up a little nicer."

"I make no promises." I chuckled, "but how about we go and shoot some bows?"

He became even more cheerful with those words "I would love to but I need to change first for I slept in my clothes from yesterday." Alex motioned to the wrinkled clothes he wore.

I walked out of his room waited by the door avoiding any contact with anyone who might tell the Queen.

Alex eventually came out and gave me a cloak reading my mind as to staying hidden an he had one to.

"Thanks." I said pulling the cloak over my head to cover most of my face.

It was reasonable for the cloaks too because it was quite chilly outside and winter was almost here.

He lead the way to the outdoor armory training center that was a little ways from the castle which I liked during this time. As we entered, I gaped at how many weapons there were but we went straight to the training bows and grabbed a quiver of bows and headed out to the target range.

"Well that was cool." I said breaking the silence as we stopped aways in front of a target.

"Yes, it is."

"Let's hope your more graceful at this than getting out of bed." I teased as he loaded an arrow in place.

"Way more graceful." he smiled pulling back the string with ease and letting go making it straight into the middle of the target.

"Now it's my turn." I stated grabbing an arrow.

"Let me help you." he came behind me and showed me how to load it, guiding my hands of where they should go.

Then he had me lift it up and he helped pull it back to the corner of my mouth and told me to release when ready. I hit the edge of the target.

"Good job!" He smiled patting me on the back.

I stifled another laugh because I already knew how to shoot a bow but he seemed excited to teach me.

"Ok now I'll try on my own."

"Are you sure you don't need any more help?" Alex questioned.

"No thank you, Alex Mari." I giggled loading the bow.

"What!" He gaped.

I lifted up the bow holding my breath as I sighted the target and released the string as I did also with my breath and landed right next to Alex's arrow in the middle.

"How?" He looked dumbstruck staring mouth gaped open.

"Someone already told me your middle name."

"Not that, how did you shoot like that?"

"Oh, I already knew how to shoot because I would hunt with my dad and I thought it was cute with you showing me." I smiled pure amusement on my face.

"You are full of surprises." he muttered bringing his bow next to me.

*****************************
We had a little competition with our bows and tied. So we decided to sword fight, but he won because I've never used a sword before. But doesn't mean I didn't trip him on our way back to the armory.

"We will have to work on your swordsmanship tomorrow." Alex said.

"Yup, but I'm hungry so we should go eat first." I said rubbing my belly.

"Okay." He replied putting an arm around my shoulders which was quite comforting and I put my arm around his back as much as I could.