CHAPTER 3

Chapter three:

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up what I needed to make taco salad and cornbread.

I walked in the house with the bags in my hand and set them on the counter. Pulling the food out of the bag, I started to make dinner while my Dad watched TV and my Mom helped with dinner as well.

My Mom pulled out the cornbread just as I finished the salad and placed it on the table.

"Dad, come and eat!" I called and the all to familiar squeaks of his chair could be heard as he got up.

"Smells good, pumpkin. You really didn't need to, but Thank you" He said.

"You're welcome, and I did have to do this. You guys have done enough already." I smiled.

We all where talking about many different things when there was a moment of silence and my mom took advantage of it Mom broke the silence with her perky voice.

"Oh Kate! I almost forgot, me and Dad are going to be leaving tonight to go up and see an old friend that invited us to go on a cruise for a while."

"Fun. But they just barley invited you? When is the cruise?" I asked a little suspicious.

"In a few days, but we're going up earlier so we can be there on time and visit with some distant family we haven't seen in awhile."

"Okay." I wasn't convinced but I figured it would be fun for them.

"We're all packed and need to leave about now actually." She said and stood up.

"I'll clean up, you guys go." I said.

"Thanks, sweetheart. Don't have too much fun without us." She gave me a hug and went upstairs to their room to grab stuff.

"Bye, pumpkin." My Dad said and kissed the top of my head and went to help my Mom. He stopped and turned back to me pointing a finger accusingly,
"No friends over or parties while we're gone you hear?"

"Yeah, Dad. I think I got it." I chuckled and he smiled knowing I wouldn't.

"Just checking. You're only seventeen." He said going to their room.

I groaned signaling 'are you serious' and 'I can handle myself' because I could handle myself perfectly well.

After they left and I cleaned up the kitchen and put all the left overs in the fridge. I went upstairs to get ready for bed once I finished. In my bedroom I pulled on my favorite black sweat pants and a plain grey t-shirt, then I went into the bathroom downstairs to wash my face and brush my teeth.

I walked into the bathroom and pulled everything out that I needed and put my hair in a bun and warmed the water while I washed my hands.

Once the water was warm I wet my face and lathered on the soap and washed it off, drying my face with a hand towel. I finished washing my face and then started to brush my teeth real quick, then I went to put away my things and when I came up I could have sworn I saw movement outside the window right behind me. Once again I dismissed it and put it with the other crazy things happening, thinking I just needed sleep. A lot of it.

I pulled out my bun and decided to do something else but ended up going back to the bun. I bent over to twist it all together and tie it up. When I stood up straight, the ought he mirror I saw a man looking at me through the window but he quickly disappeared.

I gasped and ran out of the bathroom to the front door and went outside. There wasn't anyone in sight and I walked around the whole house checking to make sure they were actually gone and went back inside and headed straight to bed knowing I'd lost my mind.