chapter one

Evie is woken up by a cattle prod being pressed to her side making her cry out in pain. Once she opens her eyes, she sees Toni and another woman in the basement that they're in. There's stairs leading up to a door and there's a small sink on the wall across from her.

She looks down to see a drain below her as she sits tied to a metal chair. She looks over and sees her dad who is looking at her worriedly.

"Are you okay?" Sam asks.

"I was until 5 seconds ago." Evie mumbles.

"Now, Sam, Evie. Let's begin." Toni says.

"Toni Bevell, London Chapterhouse." Sam says.

"That's right." Toni says.

"So, you're what? You're, uh, English Men of Letters?" Sam asks.

"British." Toni corrects.

"What's the difference?" Evie whispers to her dad, but he only shushes her.

"Where are we?" Sam asks.

"Does it matter?" Toni asks.

"Just wondering how far I'm gonna have to walk back to town with my kid after I kill you. And her. But you first." Sam says.

"Yes, well, before you murder us all, we do have a few questions about you two, your brother, hunters in America, and how you saved the sun." Toni states.

"Right. You shoot me, kidnap me and my kid, but yeah, happy to help." Sam sarcastically says.

"I didn't want to hurt you, Sam. You gave me no choice. And, well, I could say it was never supposed to go this way, but you're... you. It was always going to go this way." Toni says.

"And you know me?"

"We do. We've been watching you, your daughter, and your brother for years. Ever since you almost ended the world the first time. We knew all about Lucifer, the angels falling."

"Then where were you?"

"Fair question. See, some of us wanted to get involved, but the old men wouldn't allow it. Thought we were overstepping out bounds. After all this business with the Darkness, even they have to agree, things need to change. And while you might not believe this, Sam, we're here to help."

"Yeah, no, I-I can tell."

"I want to apologize for locking you both up. You're dangerous -- to others and yourselves."

"She's 12."

"But if you answer my questions, you walk right out that door. I promise."

"Pass."

"Sam."

"You can ask me any kind of question you want. The answer's gonna be the exact same -- screw you. You want to get mad? You want to get mean? I've been tortured by the Devil himself. So you, you're just an accent in a pantsuit. What can you do to me?"

Toni nods to the woman who turns on water and Evie follows the pipes to reveal one shower head over Sam's head, another over hers. Water comes out of it and she quickly learns it's freezing cold water.