chapter forty-three

Sam, Evie, and Cas are in the an office, Sam putting more info up on the bulletin board.

"I just think we need to tell the family something. I mean, we found his wife's body." Cas states.

"Cas, we will. When we can." Sam says.

"When we can?" Cas questions.

"Cas, we have people outside that door who are barely keeping it together. We start talking murder..." Sam says.

"Knock knock!" They turn to see Rowena in the doorway. "Am I interrupting something juicy?"

"No. Rowena, thanks for coming." Sam says.

"Samuel. Evie. Castiel. What? A town full of ghosts! Messy even by Winchester standards." Rowena says.

"Is it really?" Evie asks.

"We're hoping you can help." Sam says.

"Can you boys do nothing on your own? Very well. What do you want?" Rowena asks.

"Remember a couple years ago when we were trying to get rid of Amara?" Sam asks.

"God's sister, aye. Sticky business, that." Rowena says.

"You made a crystalline device... a bomb." Cas says.

"You want to blow up the ghosts?" Rowena asks.

"No. No. No, no. But the bomb was powered by souls. Souls that were sucked into it." Sam says.

"Ah... and ghosts are nothing but souls. I hope you're not thinking..." Rowena trails off.

"Trap them in a crystal." Sam says.

"Samuel, no! That was so difficult. It took everything I had." Rowena says.

"Yeah. Rowena--"

"Sam." A woman cuts Sam off. "We got a situation."

+++

Sam went to check it out, only to return back with Dean, Belphegor, and Ketch. The three Winchesters and Ketch are in the office along with Rowena.

"Okay. Ketch, how are you here?" Sam asks.

"Oh, I-I just happened to be in the area when you sent out word looking for help with your little... situation." Ketch says.

"Oh." Rowena mutters.

"Eh?" Ketch hums.

"Right, well. That's... lucky us. What is that?" Dean asks, pointing to Ketch's weird looking gun.

"Uh, it fires iron flakes, expelling ghosts without harm to the possessed victim, courtesy of the British Men of Letters. I lifted it along with a few other... toys when I left." Ketch informs.

"You're telling me that the British Men of Letters have weapons that don't actually hurt everybody involved?" Evie asks.

"Yes, indeed." Ketch nods.