chapter twenty-eight

Evie is talking to Maggie in the library when the brunette taps the Winchester's shoulder. Maggie points behind Evie and the girl follows her finger, finding her dad and uncle with Jack and Cas making her eyes widen.

Evie makes her way over and stops, a few feet from them.

"Is it... you're..." Evie tries to ask.

"It's him." Sam confirms.

Evie laughs in relief and rushes to Dean, hugging him around the neck, and he wraps his arms around her waist.

"Hi, shortcake." Dean mutters. Once they pull away, he kisses her on the forehead.

"I'm sorry." Cas apologizes. "I wanted to be there, but we feared that Michael would sense my presence."

"Sam told me. Ain't no thing." Dean says.

"Where's Mary?" Jack asks.

"She and Bobby stayed back in Duluth to clean up the, uh, the, uh, situation." Sam says.

"Speaking of clean up, I need a shower." Dean says.

"Hey..." Sam calls as Dean leaves.

"Still okay. I promise." Dean leaves.

"How's Nick?" Sam asks.

"He's gone." Cas states.

"What?" Sam asks.

"He left a note, said that he had some personal business to attend to and he hasn't been returning my calls. He was in a dark place. Maybe he just needed some time." Cas suggests.

"All right, yeah, maybe." Sam says.

"Sam. Dean, how is he really?" Cas asks.

"I don't know." Sam shrugs.

"Why would Michael just give up his vessel like that?" Cas asks.

"I don't know." Sam repeats.

"And why was Michael helping monsters?" Cas asks.

"Cas, truth is we don't know anything." Sam says.

+++

The three Winchesters are walking to a comic book store.

"What if we're talking like, one toy gone bad or it's like a whole crew, you know? Like public master style." Dean says.

"Do you actually want there to be more than one?" Sam asks.

"I don't know." Dean shrugs.

Some kids pass, dressed in costumes and yell 'Boo' and Sam recoils slightly, an unpleasant look on his face.

"Still not a fan of Halloween, huh?" Dean asks.

"Nope." Sam answers.

"It's so lame." Dean chuckles.