chapter fifteen

Jack and Evie are sitting across from each other in the library. Jack is on his laptop while Evie is reading.

"How'd it go?" Jack asks as Sam and Dean walk in.

"Well..." Dean starts.

"Um..." Sam mumbles.

"What's wrong?" Jack asks. They watch as Cas walks in.

"Wha-- is it--" Evie looks at her dad who nods. Evie quickly gets up, rushing to the angel and hugging him. Cas hugs her back.

"Hi, Evie." He mumbles. He turns to Jack. "Hello, Jack."

"Castiel?" Jack asks.

"Yeah, it's me." Cas sighs.

"No. We burned your body and what's burned stays dead. How..."

"Well, that's the question we've been askin'." Dean says.

"Jack.. did you, uh... did you bring Cas back?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. I wanted him back. I... begged for him to come back, but..." Jack trails off.

"Well, here he is." Dean says as Evie finally lets go of Cas.

"Because of me?" Jack asks.

"We don't know. We don't know, Jack. But we--we--we think maybe." Sam says.

"Thank you, Jack." Cas says. Jack walks over to Cas and hugs him and the angel hugs him back.

"I missed you so much." Jack says.

"Sam and Dean tell me you're doing well." Cas says.

"I am. I... watch this." Jack stands next to the table and holds his hand up, levitating the pencil for a few seconds before putting it back down.

"I can move the pencil." Jack smiles. "And... I found a case. Hunter's case." He says, sitting back down.

"What kind of a--"

"Zombies." Jack cuts Dean off. "I know what zombies are now." Jack whispers to Cas. "You see?" He says, pulling up all the info on the laptop.

"Wait.  Where'd you learn to do that?" Dean asks.

"By watching you. And Sam and Evie. Three days ago, a vintage pocket watch with a personal inscription was sold at a pawn shop. But when they went to authenticate it, they found out that it'd been buried with its owner... 20 years ago. And when they checked out the grave, it was empty. Which means... the dead are rising in Dodge City, Kansas."

"Oh, God." Evie mumbles, seeing Dean contain an excited grin.

"Right. O-or maybe it's a-a grave robbery." Sam says. "But..."

"Oh." Jack says.

"Yeah, but we should probably check it out." Dean says.

"Wait. Really?" Cas asks.

"Yeah, we've done more on less. Besides Dodge City's kind of, uh, kind of awesome. All right, well... two salty hunters, one usually sweet hunter, one half-angel kid, and a dude who just came back from the dead. Again. Team Free Will 2.0. Here we go." Dean leaves.