chapter forty-four

They get to the cemetery since Rowena said she needed to be near the opening of Hell for the spell to work.

"What's the word from outside?" Dean asks his brother as they walk towards the cemetery.

"Ghosts are still at it, trying to break down the barrier. I left some hunters at the gym to keep the peace. The rest are set up around the perimeter, in case--"

"IN case the spell breaks and a hundred billion ghosts come bursting out." Dean says. He turns to Rowena. "This better work."

"It will work. The "Rafforza I'incantesimo" is a potent transubstantiation spell. It can turn gossamer into concrete." Rowena states. "Like I said, get me close to the epicenter, find me a nice, protected ghost free space -- I'll patch those crumbling walls right up, and we'll all be home in time for high tea."

They walk past the rift and there's bodies everywhere.

"Ah. Great. A nice, protected space." Cas says sarcastically.

They go to the crypt, Sam locking the doors after everyone is in. Dean and Cas scatter salt around and Rowena gets ready to do the spell and takes her coat off. She opens the Book of the Damned and prepares to perform the spell.

Rowena starts performing the spell, speaking in a different language, and soon enough her eyes glow violet.

Sam's phone dings and he looks at it.

"Looks like it's working." Sam says.

Rowena suddenly stutters the spell. She tries to continue it, but starts panting. "Forte!" The bowl clatters to the ground and she falls to the floor.

"Rowena?" Evie calls, crouching down next to the witch, with a worried expression on her face.

"We're all going to die." Rowena states, terrified. She sits against a pillar, the three Winchesters crouched next to her. "Drink."

"Of course. Dean." Sam says and Dean hands him a water.

"A real drink." Rowena says.

The two brothers stare at each other until Dean reluctantly passes over his flask and Sam gives it to Rowena.

"OKay, now that we're waiting for the witch's hooch to kick in, can we finally admit the obvious? Uh, she failed. So if we're keeping scores, that's, uh, 1 for the demon, uh, 0 for the witch." Belphegor says.

"Well, demon may be getting punched if he doesn't shut up." Evie bites.

"Seriously, don't you feel the sexual tension between us?" Belphegor asks. All three Winchesters and Cas glare at him. "No? Just me?"

"The enchantment couldn't work." Rowena says, getting everybody's attention to the bigger problem at hand. "No magic could. The spell put me into a-a communion with the wall. I-I could feel how weak it is, how close to collapse-- and I could feel why. I could feel them. All of them."

"All of them? Them who?" Sam asks.

"The spirits. Their anger and their hatred, writhing and raging. They're pressed up against those walls breaking them down. There are too many and they're too wild and desperate and angry." Rowena says. "Together, they are too strong. Those walls will fall, and there's no magic on earth can stop it."