chapter fourteen

Jack and Evie are in his room and sitting on his bed watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars on the laptop. There's a knock on the door and Sam calls out Jack's name before walking in.

"Hey." Sam greets. He sees the laptop screen. "Clone Wars?"

"The computer said I'd like it. I do like Ahsoka. Kinda hate Anakin." Jack states.

"Uh... that's probably for the best." Sam says before looking at his daughter. "I thought you didn't like this show."

"I don't. I'm very bored right now." Evie says making Sam lightly chuckle.

"Uh, hey, Jack. You remember when I told you what Dean, Evie, and I do? Our, uh, our day job?" Sam asks.

"You kill monsters because you're the good guys." Jack remembers.

"Right, right. And we've got a case, so... thought you might want to come along." Sam says.

"No." Jack answers after a moment.

"Jack, I really think this would be good for you. You know, maybe a change of scenery might--"

"Get my powers working again?"

"Yeah, maybe."

"So I can be your "interdimensional can opener"?" Jack asks.

"Okay, this just got awkward, so I'm gonna go." Evie says, getting up and leaving.

+++

Jack and Evie are in the backseat of the Impala while the brothers are in the front seat and Dean pulls up outside the victim's house.

"Agent Bonham, Agent Seger, Special Agent Anderson-- these are you?" Jack asks, looking at the fake badges.

"Yeah, sometimes." Sam says.

"I thought lying was wrong." Jack says.

"There's... special circumstances." Evie says.

"All right, here we go. Victim, Wes Bailey. His wife, Erica, died 6 months ago. heart thing, out of the blue. Uh, question is, why'd she come back from the dead and knife his ass?" Dean asks.

"People come back?" Jack asks.

"When a person dies and their soul can't move on..." Sam starts, but Dean cuts him off.

"They're called ghosts. ANd hanging around makes them go looney tunes. Uh, they go crazy."

"Yeah, question is, since when do ghosts kill somebody and walk out the front door?" Sam asks.

"So maybe it's a revenant." Dean suggests.

"Wait. What's a revenant?" Jack asks.

"A revenant's more like a--a zombie." Sam informs.

"Hey, there's our witness." Dean says, seeing Wes' neighbor walk out and begin to water plants.