chapter ten

The four Winchesters are in the library.

"Okay, let me just get this straight. So... we beat the Brits, we kicked their psycho, tea-swilling asses, and instead of popping champagne and headin' to Vegas, we get Lucifer." Dean says.

Sam brought back pictures of Lucifer now out and about from the British Men of Letters bunker when they went to attack and recalled everything that the one woman told him about Lucifer being free. Evie has been on edge ever since because she knows it's only a matter of time before he gets in her head again and she'll have to hide that from her family.

"And you're sure it's him?" Mary asks.

"Yeah. That's his old vessel, too." Sam says.

"How is that possible?" Mary asks.

"Crowley, I guess." Sam says.

"And now he's dead." Mary says.

"Well, that's what Hess said. But Crowley's a freakin' cockroach." Dean says. "I'll believe he's gone when I see the body and burn it."

"We don't need Crowley. We need Rowena. I mean, she's the one who can slam Lucifer back into the cage." Sam states.

"Great. So where is she?" Mary asks.

Sam calls Rowena, but when he hears the voice on the other side end of the line, he freezes.

"What?" Dean asks.

Sam puts the phone on speaker.

"Oh, if you're looking for Rowena, she is presently indisposed." Hearing Lucifer's voice makes Evie tense up. "Which is a delicate way of saying, I stomped on her face till the white meat showed, and then set her on fire, just in case. Ah. Gingers. It was messy and... screamy, but it had to be done, Sam. I'm about to be a dad. Can't raise the little nipper from a jail cell now, can I? Speaking of... you know where your little pal Castiel is?"

"Go to Hell." Sam sneers.

"Ooh! Good one. Witty. I'll use that in the future. All right, well, I'd love to chat with ya, but, uh, why waste my time, right? It's not like you matter. I don't need to put on the old Sam suit anymore, do I? Or maybe I can put on a new Evie suit." Lucifer says.

"You know, if you think we're just gonna let you walk--"

"Oh, hey, Dean!" Lucifer cuts him off. "I know you fellas are gonna try, you know, whatever. Whatever you're gonna try. But you can't kill me. You've never been able to kill me. And with, uh, witch bitch gone, you can't put me back in the cage, so like I said... you don't matter. Okay? Buh-bye. Buh-bye."

Lucifer hangs up.

"You know, Lucifer's right. We can't kill him and we can't slam his ass back in the cage." Dean says.

"Yeah. Okay. So maybe we play for time. Find Cas and Kelly, keep 'em moving. If Lucifer can't find them, he can't hurt them." Sam says.

"You think Castiel is gonna go along with that?" Mary asks.

"You think we'll give him a choice?" Dean asks.