chapter forty-one

"You lied to me."

"Jack." Cas tries to talk to him.

"You lied!" Jack yells. He throws his arms out, blasting the other four across the room, crashing into shelves.

After being able to get up, they look around, Jack no longer there.

"I don't understand." Cas says. "The Ma'lak box can hold an archangel."

"Jack's not an archangel." Sam reasons.

"Yeah, apparently, the kid leveled up." Dean says.

"So, what do we do?" Cas asks.

"We find him." Dean says.

"How?" Cas asks.

"I don't know, Cas. You tell me." Dean says.

"Okay, the last time we found Jack, it wa-- it was by praying to him, but that's not gonna happen again." Sam says.

"Yeah, you think?" Dean scoffs.

"You're aware that's because of you, right?" Evie asks her uncle. "If you weren't a dick--"

"Evie." Sam holds his arm out, stopping her from starting a fight. Evie rolls her eyes, sighing.

"You should never have tried to lock him away." Cas says.

"You know what? You're right." Dean says. "I never wanted to put him in that damn box. I wanted him dead."

"Dean."

"He's dangerous, Cas, and you knew it! You've known it for a long time! But that's okay. You know why? Because me and Sam, we've killed just about everything there is. And this -- Jack -- oh, we'll find a way. Because he's just another monster."

"The hell I don't."

They stare at each other for a few moments before Cas storms out.

"All right. SO, I guess we got to find Jack." Dean says.

"Yeah. Then what?" Sam asks.

"I don't know." Dean shrugs. "Maybe we call Rowena, see if she can put together one of those, um, soul bombs." Dean says.

"The... thing you were gonna use against the darkness?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, might actually put a dent in the kid." Dean says.

"Okay." Sam says quietly and Evie looks at him in bewilderment.

"Sam, I know this isn't easy, okay? He-- i know how much he meant to you. He meant a lot to me. He was family. But this? This is not Jack anymore. He's hurting. He's killing people. This isn't gonna be easy, but we're gonna have to do the hard thing. We're gonna have to do the ugly thing. Ain't like it's the first time though, right?"

"No." Evie shakes her head making them both to turn her. "No, I'm not-- I... no. I'm not gonna help you hunt down and kill one of my best friends."

"Evie..." Dean tries.

"No! And I didn't see you trying to kill dad when he was soulless or drunk on demon blood. He was hurting and killing people then, too. We didn't attempt to kill you with that stupid mark! I'm out."