chapter fifty-seven

Sam, Dean, Evie, Jack, and Amara are all in the library after she appeared in the kitchen.

"My brother has returned." She states.

"That means it's time." Jack says.

"Did he contact you?" Sam asks.

"He's made himself known. How do you intend to cage him? When God caged me, he had four archangels. Do you have four archangels?" Amara asks.

"Nope. We have one Jack." Dean says.

"I wish we'd gotten to know one another. That's my fault. Maybe when all this is over, we can?" Amara asks her great-nephew. Jack seems to hesitate, but nods.

"He's been juicing himself up, getting stronger." Dean says.

"But I need to complete a final ritual." Jack says.

"What do you need me to do?" Amara asks.

~ ~ ~

Dean is walking Amara out, Sam, Evie and Jack still in the library.

"You two are angry with me." Jack says.

"No, I'm not. I..." Sam says.

"You're disappointed?" Jack asks.

"Jack, look... I wish you'd have been up front with us. But sacrificing your life for a cause... that takes a lot of courage. I still think it's wrong, though." Sam says.

"What he said." Evie points to her dad.

"Alright, we're all set." Dean says, walking in. "Jack, why don't you go get your stuff." He says and Jack leaves. "I'm thinking we leave now, we'll make Santa Fe by tomorrow morning."

"Yeah, um, I'm not coming." Sam says.

"Me neither." Evie seconds.

"What?" Dean asks.

"You and Jack got this covered." Sam says.

"Chuck is back. You two wanna take a knee? I mean, I know her taking a knee because she's, you know, your baby, but you wanna sit out?" Dean asks his brother.

"That's not what I'm doing. What either of us are doing." Sam says and Dean looks at the research spread out.

"Wh... you don't even have any leads." Dean argues.

"What do you have, Dean? Honestly?! What, Billie's sending you to Santa Fe to... to meet up with her mystery guest that's gonna perform the "final ritual," or whatever that is, and turn Jack into a suicide bomb?"

"Sam, you and me and Evie, we have to do this, it's in the book!"

"Oh, Chuck's "Death Book," right? Come on, man! Blindly following orders?! Lying to Amara, sending her to her death? Does any of this feel right to you?!"

"Mm, blindly following orders. Sounds like you about fifteen years ago. You sure you're not just going back to old habits? What, are you Billie's puppet now?" Evie asks and Dean glares at her and she ignores the small pang of guilt she feels for throwing John in his face. "Yeah, I can be a bitch, too."