chapter eighteen

Evie walks into the kitchen at 8:30 AM since Dean woke her up for pancakes and she only finds Dean awake.

"Where's dad?" Evie asks.

"His room." Dean answers.

"His room? Shouldn't he have already been on a run by now or something?" Evie asks.

"Yep." Dean nods.

"Wh-- is he okay?" Evie asks.

"What do you think?" Dean asks and Evie rolls her eyes at his answer. "E, he'll be fine. Just give him some more time."

After eating breakfast, Dean went to Sam again, but failed to get him out of his room. He comes back to the kitchen unsuccessful which just worries Evie more.

Evie leaves the kitchen and makes her way to her dad's room. She goes up to the door and knocks on it.

"Dad?" She calls, but doesn't get a response. "Uncle Dean made pancakes. They're really good." She states, but still doesn't get anything back. "Can I come in?" She asks. Still nothing.

Usually if Sam asks that question, he'll walk into her room anyway and try to get her to talk -- unless she locked the door. Evie feels wrong doing that, but tries it anyway... only to find the door locked.

She quietly lets out a sigh and debates on what to do. She realizes her dad isn't going to talk, but she still has some hope that he'll get up soon. So, she sits on the ground next to his door, resting her back against the wall and pulling her legs to her chest, wrapping her arms around them.

~ ~ ~

Evie is sitting outside her dad's room for what feels like days. But only Dean knows it's only been an hour and a half. He walks up, finding Evie in the same spot he found her when he went searching after she didn't return to the kitchen. He had tried to get her to leave, but she didn't budge, stating that if Sam did come out of the room, she wanted to be there.

Dean winces, knowing Sam being in this state is effecting Evie since he's rarely like this and even when he is, either he hid it from her or she was too young and innocent to understand.

Dean walks over to Evie and stands in front of her. She looks up at him and he shakes his head a little making her frown and her shoulders deflate.

"Come on, E." Dean mutters, holding his hands out to her. She takes them and he helps her up. Dean wraps his arm around her shoulders, ruffling her hair, as he leads her back to the kitchen.

+++

A little less than an hour later, Sam walks in, on the phone. Evie sits up a little, happy her dad is out of bed and hoping he's in a better mood.

"Ho, ho, ho. There he is. Saved you a short stack." Dean tells him.

"Hey, Donna, I'm here with Dean and Evie. I'm gonna put you on speaker." Sam says before doing so. "Uh, why don't you tell him what you told me?"