chapter forty-eight

Evie is in the kitchen, scrolling through her phone and eating at the table, while tuning out Sam and Eileen who are still cooking some more breakfast.

"It's never enough food." Sam laughs.

"Hey." Dean walks in, catching the attention of the other three.

"Hey." Eileen greets.

"Look who's alive." Sam says.

"Finally." Evie sighs in relief, tired of being with Sam and Eileen alone.

"Yeah, mostly." Dean replies to Sam's comment.

"You hungry? We have, uh, eggs, pancakes, bacon." Sam lists.

"That real bacon? Cause, you know, you..." Dean trails off as he looks between the two, Eileen giving him a knowing smile. "Are you two hungover?"

"We might've gotten just a little carried away with the margaritas last night." Eileen says.

"Ho-ho! I knew I liked you." Dean smiles.

"Sit. Eat." Eileen insists.

"No, no. Uh, nah, I can't." Dean declines.

"W-W-Wait. Wait. You're turning down bacon?" Sam asks.

"Are you sick? How much beer have you been drinking?" Evie asks.

"Ha ha." Dean fake laughs at her. "And, yes, yeah, I'm actually... I'm gonna head out."

"Okay, fine. Just give us a second to wrap this up, and we'll come with you." Sam says.

"No, no, no. No. I'm... I'm-I'm good. You guys stay, eat. It smells terrific." Dean says.

Dean leaves and Sam and Evie follow. Evie quickly darts back for a couple pieces of bacon and a pancake, sending a smile to Eileen before rushing back out.

"No, I'm good. I'm good." Dean tells his brother.

"You're good? W-What does that mean you're..."

"It means I got to... I got to get out of here, okay? I just... I got to... I'm gonna take a drive, clear my head." Dean says.

"Alone?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, you know, you and Eileen, you guys are having fun. I don't want to spoil that, you know?" Dean says.

"Yeah, go, go. Clear your head. Eileen and I have stuff to do." Sam says.

"Yeah, I'll bet you do. Yeah? Hmm?" Dean smirks.

"There goes my appetite." Evie grimaces.

"It's not like that. I-I-I meant looking for Chuck and Lilith and--"

"Sure. Got it. Um, okay, but if, uh, things go your way, just make sure you put the sock no the door so I know." Den says.

"Come on, man!" Evie groans.

"Call me if you need me." Sam says.

"Always do." Dean says and Sam goes back to the kitchen.