chapter fifty-three

The Winchesters and Cas are in the kitchen, discussing Jack and his plan with Billie.

"I still don't like it." Sam says.

"Which part... Jack's deal with Death? Or the part where she's got him eating angel hearts?" Dean asks.

"Ugh. The hearts were disturbing." Cas says.

"So, what's next? We're just supposed to trust her?" Sam asks.

"Well, apparently Billie's got Jack on a need to know, which not a shock. We've made deals with cosmic players before. "Cards up" ain't their style." Dean says.

"Jack still doesn't have a soul. And now he's been in the Empty for months. I mean, we have no idea where his head is right now." Sam says.

"Well, I have my concerns, but... Jack trusts Billie, and I trust Jack." Cas says.

"That doesn't really have a great track record in this family." Evie comments.

"What about cosmic balance, Cas? I mean, Jack's gonna kill God? What about Amara?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. I don't know. But I have seen Billie's library, and I have spent time with her. I... well, "trust" is a strong word, but... I believe in her. There's no one more committed to the rules than she is. She's probably got it all figured out." Dean says.

"Probably? Like she had the Ma'lak box figured out?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I dunno. I mean, she's still Death. She was right about Rowena." Dean says. Evie sees her dad's shoulders slump slightly and she pinches Dean in the side making him flinch and glare at her, Evie also glaring at him.

"All I'm saying is, I wish we knew more." Sam says.

"Yeah, I got questions too, but right now this is the only plan we got." Dean says.

"Right." Sam leaves.

+++

Evie is watching Cas and Jack play Connect Four at the map table. Jack drops a coin in and Cas slams his fist on the table.

"You have four of the same color connected, so... given the name of the game, I assume that means you've won." Cas says.

"It does in fact mean he won." Evie says, high fiving Jack, who has a small grin.

They look up when they hear the door open.

"They're back." Jack says as Sam and Jody walk down the stairs.

"Jody?" Cas asks.

"Hey, Evie, Jack, Cas." Jody greets.

Evie smiles and goes over and hugs the woman who returns the action, placing a quick kiss to the teen's head.

"Nice to finally meet you in person." Cas tells her. "So, what happened?"

Dean walks down the stairs, holding onto Dark Kaia's shoulders.

"Long story." Dean answers.