chapter thirty-nine

The three Winchesters get back to the bunker, all calling out for Jack and Mary who don't seem to be there. They regroup in the library, not finding any sign of the other two.

"Nothing." Sam says.

"They probably just stopped for a bite on the way back. You know how mom gets after a hunt." Dean says.

"Yeah. True that." Sam says.

"Well, hey, here's to another miraculous Sam and Evie Winchester survival. Got to say, man, if Jack hadn't have healed you two..." Dean trails off.

"Yep." Sam mutters.

"Death by car door. Not sure if that's pathetic or cool." Evie says. Both brothers look at her. "I'm just saying. It's better than tacos, though." She says, smiling, and both brothers fake laugh. "Creepy." She mumbles, sitting next to her dad.

"You know, lately, it feels like we'd be up the creek without the kid. I mean, first, he takes care of Michael and then Nick." Dean says.

"Kind of sounds like you're bummed about it." Sam says.

"No. "Get out of jail free" card? I'll take that." Dean says, pulling his phone out.

"Gonna try mom?" Sam asks.

"Yeah." Dean nods. He calls Mary's phone and the three hear vibrating coming from the map table. They go over, finding Mary's phone and keys. "Looks like they left in a hurry."

"Try Jack." Sam says.

+++

They told other hunters to keep an eye out for Jack and the three are tracking his location. They're in the car and Dean is driving to Jack's location.

"All right. Cas is gonna meet us there. You know, maybe Jack was wrong, you know? I mean, maybe Nick pulled it off, maybe Lucifer's back, and he took them both. And--And Jack-- I mean he must have thought he was helping, you know, being kind."

"What?" Dean asks.

"With Felix." Sam clarifies.

"Wait. Really? With the snake?" Dean asks.

"I'm just saying, Dean. I'm trying to understand Jack without a soul." Sam says.

"We don't know that he doesn't have a soul! Okay, I don't want to-- let's-let's just not talk about it, all right? Let's just find mom. We'll find Jack. We'll figure it all out." Dean says.

"All right." Sam says, looking back at the tablet. "Uh oh." He shows the screen to Dean and Evie, revealing the signal on Jack's phone was lost.

They get to the cabin where Jack's location last was.

"You two look inside. I'll take around back." Dean says and they go separate directions. Sam and Evie go inside, searching through the house. Evie makes it to the living room and stops, seeing Nick's burnt, dead body. She freezes, her eyes slightly wide at the sight.

Sam walks in, bumping into Evie.

"Whoa, Evie, wha--" Sam stops, seeing Nick's body. "Oh, my God." He whispers.