chapter twelve

The four stopped at a motel, much to Dean's reluctance.

"This is a bad idea. We should've just kept driving." Dean says as they walk to their room. Sam scoffs.

"Dude you were hallucinating sheep on the road. We need a few hours." Sam says as they enter the room, Dean turning the lights on.

"This is nice." Jack comments.

"Let's ward the room, get a bite, get a few hours of sleep, hit the road first thing." Sam says.

Jack walks over to one of the beds and sits on it. Evie sees him looking at the remote confused so she walks over and turns the TV on, Scooby-Doo being the thing to come on.

"It's... wonderful." Jack smiles.

"Hey. No." Dean walks over, ripping the remote from Evie's hand.

"Hey." She protests.

"But..." Jack tries to object, but sees Dean watching the show. Dean chuckles slightly before going back to serious.

"No." Dean states. Evie reaches for the remote, but Dean holds her arm back, turning the TV off, not sparing her a glance. "And you're on the couch sport." He tells Jack. "All right? So why don't you go over there? Sit down and... here." Dean lets go of Evie and picks up the Bible, throwing it onto the couch where Jack is now. "Read a book. We're out of here in a few hours."

Jack sits on the couch and opens the Bible, beginning to read it.

"Jack, hey, I can take the couch. Why don't--" Sam says.

"No, no. It's fine." Jack tells him.

"Well, where am I sleeping?" Evie asks.

"The floor." Dean answers making Sam roll his eyes.

"You can sleep in my bed... or the floor, if you want, I guess." Sam tells his daughter. Evie looks at the empty twin bed.

"Don't squash me." She tells her dad before setting her bag down next to the bed.

~ ~ ~

They got food and are all eating now. Jack and Dean are on the couch while Evie and Sam sit in chairs across from them.

"You can slow down, you know. That stuff's not gonna disappear." Dean says.

"Ever seen you eat, Dean?" Sam asks.

Dean grabs a beer and opens it as does Jack.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait. How old do you think you are?" Dean asks.

"3 days, 17 hours, and 42 minutes." Jack answers. Dean looks at Sam who shrugs. Dean drinks some beer before wiping his mouth and Jack copies him. Sam and Evie share an amused look.

"This book, it mentions my father. Not Castiel, but Lucifer." Jack says.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, he's--he's big in the Bible. Lotta screen time." Dean says.