chapter twenty-four

The three Winchesters and Rowena are in the library. Rowena is getting stuff ready for a spell and the Winchesters are packing. It took some convincing, but Evie was able to get Sam to let her come with them.

"Fruit from the tree of life." Rowena says, pulling a fruit out. "Blood of a most holy man." She pulls a bottle of blood out. "And ah..." She plucks some of Dean's hair out.

"Ow." Dean mutters.

"Something from the other side." Rowena states, putting the hair in the bowl.

"Hey." Sam greets as Cas walks in. "How's Gabriel?"

"He said he needed a minute alone. He wanted to extract his grace by himself." Cas states. "In private." He says, using air quotes. "So I left him alone in Dean's room."

"You what? No." Dean objects.

"I hate to interrupt, but I can't be the only one to notice the rather glaring hole in this plan." Rowena says. "We open up the rift, it gives us a day to find and save your mom and the boy. And it's a very big world over there and you're not even sure where they are, so..."

"She's right. The clock may run out on us." Cas says.

"Yeah. It might." Sam says.

"Yeah, well we don't have any better ideas." Dean says.

"Mm, that's inspirational." Rowena mutters sarcastically.

"Here it is!" Gabriel announces, walking into the room and putting a vial of his grace on the table. "The final ingredient -- a fresh serving of archangel grace."

Rowena picks the vial up, everybody examining the small amount in it.

"This is what you call a serving?" Rowena asks.

"That is the jet fuel of divine emissions." Gabriel says. "It'll be more than enough to get the job done."

~ ~ ~

"Koth Munto Nuntox." Rowena chants over the bowl that begins to glow. The rift forms.

"Okay, everyone ready?" Cas asks.

"Yeah, all right." Sam says.

"What have we got to freaking lose?" Evie mumbles.

"Let's do this." Dean says.

The four start to walk to the rift, but it starts to droop over. Everybody follows the leaning rift with their heads before it disappears.

"Yeah, I feel like that isn't supposed to happen." Evie points.

"Okay." Dean mumbles.

"Well, that was... fast." Cas says.

"Very, very fast." Sam agrees.

"One could even say premature." Rowena says.

"Um... I thought it would be enough." Gabriel says.