Subtle changes

It had been nearly 4am in the morning when I reached back home. I was too drained to change my clothing or even take off my shoes . The moment my head hit the  pillow I fell asleep in deep slumber.

The sunrays peeked through my window and touched my face. I covered my face with a pillow. I was in no mood to get up but the constant buzzing of my cell phone made it impossible for me to continue sleeping. “Hello” , I croaked.

“Zayn where are you  ? Are you okay  ? Why were you not answering your calls earlier  ?” The voice on the other end   was filled with an equivalent mixture of concern and worry.  Liam was bombarding me  with questions rendering me unable to reply back. “Why don’t   you say something ?” he cried. “  I will answer when you give me a chance to speak Liam.” I said. “Firstly calm yourself. I am at home and I am fine. I did not answer your calls earlier because I was sleeping.” He heaved a sigh of relief. “It is good to know you are fine. Now get your lazy ass up and get dressed. I am coming to pick you up. We have a meeting with the management before  we go on our break at 12:30 pm”. I glanced at the clock. It was 10:15 am.

“Alright Liam I will be waiting for you.” I ended the call and dragged myself out of my bed. Humming to myself I walked towards the kitchen and fixed myself breakfast my favorite pancakes and maple syrup. I know you must be wondering that just the next day after my breakup I should be drowning in sorrow right ? That thought struck me too. But for some weird reason I felt elated instead of being grumpy.  After taking a shower and getting dressed I still had time to kill before Liam arrived.

I decided to log on to my  twitter account which was overflowing with numerous messages for me. #zaynurstrong #zaynweloveu was trending on twitter. I was right wasn’t I ? My breakup with Perrie was all over the internet. Perrie owed me .This was exactly what she was aiming for. Numerous reasons for our split were being speculated. What bothered me was neither of the lads had texted  or even called me with Liam being the exception. Maybe they were still hung over from last night to notice the apparent turmoil in my life.

I got a text from Liam stating that he was waiting for me in the car. As I opened the door I was greeted by an anxious Liam whose eyebrows were furrowed together. “Hey man thanks for picking me up. I was feeling to lazy to drive.” I said patting his shoulder. The crease on Liam’s forehead eased and he shot me a glare. “Are you drunk Zayn ? You seem happy ?” ,he said. “I didn’t know being happy was a sign of being drunk” , I mocked. “Liam we are getting late. Can you postpone your queries for later ?.

He nodded and drove towards the head office for Modest Management. After parking the car we got into the elevator and I pressed on the 24th button. When I was 17 I was awestruck when I first visited this glass skyscraper with its magnificent interior. However five years down the line and being a regular here the surroundings are too familiar to me.

The doors of the elevator opened and we were greeted by Paul who led us into the meeting room. As I walked into the room I was greeted by a rather sleepy Niall and Louis who was in a somber mood. Harry was seated in a corner with head between his hands .His brown curls were all over his face and he seemed to be suffering from a massive headache.

“Haz you okay ?” I said softly. He shook his head . “Here take this Harold it will make you feel better .” said Paul while handing him an aspirin and a glass of water. As Harry gulped down his medicine the door opened and we were greeted by Kaitlyn Cole our publicist and Luke Bryan a member from Modest. Motioning us to take our seats Luke updated us regarding our upcoming tour and its security arrangements. World tours maybe fun but the intricate details involved in making it a success are innumerable.

“As you know boys the media is always on the prowl for juicy details involving you five. You know that we need to cautious as we cannot afford any news which shall tarnish the image of the band. Speaking of which Zayn your breakup with Perrie was not a very smart move. Being seen with her on the same night and tweeting about your split was highly odious for your image. You could have told me I would have handled it.”

I looked at her intensely and she seemed to recoil under my stare. “As my publicist  you are suppose to handle my work not my relationships and breakups. Our breakup is mutual Kaitlyn so I am not going to make a charade out of it.” I told her coldly.

She nodded her head but was about to say something when Luke whispered something in her ear. “ Alright Zayn as u say. You are the  master of your life but when you have a new muse could you please inform us before going public as both Perrie and you fall under the precious care of Modest.” Kaitlyn said putting up her fake smile.

The meeting continued for an hour regarding several aspects of the upcoming tour.I felt claustrophobic in Kaitlyn’s and Luke’s presence. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Niall and Harry both trying to catch mini naps whereas Louis’s expression made it obvious that even if he was physically present here his mind was elsewhere. The solemn person paying his full attention was Liam our dear daddy direction .My thoughts drifted to last night and paused on Allana.

I was hoping to see her here but what would she do in our band meeting.Silly me. I reckon Niall would not mind if I asked for her number. “Gentlemen with this we conclude and I shall see all of you’ll in a week when you leave for Sydney.” Luke said.

We greeted both of them and headed down to the parking area. “Zayn how are you feeling ?” Louis asked me. Haz and Niall gave their full attention to me. Honestly they were scanning me as if I had grown an extra pair of arms. “ I am FINE. Guys, I know breakups are hard and I loved Perrie but it is over for the best. No hard feelings , no moping and no resentment.”

“What is the guarantee that after your little I am so happy  speech you will not go into hiding and become miserable.”  Haz said looking at me pointedly.  “ That was the plan but to be frank we had nothing left. Sometimes some people are just not meant to be. Perrie and me fall into that list.”

“Do you have fever ?” Niall said checking my forehead. Seriously these boys are my nanny’s. “What happened to the mysterious Zayn Malik ? Are you his doppelganger ? Our Zayn is very sadistic in such matters for a very long time. On the contrary you are all composed and rather positive.”

“ Nialler” I laughed “ I am the same Zayn now can we end this investigation please.” I said raising my hands in defeat. “Sure”, Liam said a bit too swiftly. I was sensing that Payno was trying to detect the reason for my change in behavior. How could I tell him that it was she who made me believe that sometimes it is better to let go of pain and embrace life as it comes.

“Louis and I need to get going”, Harry said . All of us were heading back home for the break. Family time the child in me squealed in delight. “Even I better hurry up. My flight is in 2 hours.” Niall said. Hang on if Niall is leaving it means that Allana would be going alongwith him. I will not see her.  “Have a great trip buddy” I hugged him. “ Do wish Allana the same from me.”

“Allana is visiting Mullingar  after four days. She is leaving for Bradford today to meet a friend .I gave her your number incase if she needs help. I hope you don’t mind it.” said Niall.

“I will be glad to help her .Don’t worry about her.” I said a bit too cheerily.

Allana was visiting Bradford. Going back home had never seemed so welcoming.

A/N

Happy reading !!!!