Three Steps Ahead

Rex POV

Today is going to be a blast. I love the taste of the air in the forests. Something about it is just...relaxing. Plus it's an informal trip with the boys and Pyrrha and the rest of our friends. So I think today is going to be pretty fun. Y/n already warned us to keep an eye on Nora around our Sap jars.

Getting off of the bullhead, I was still a little peeved at Oliver for suggesting that I smelled when I am perfectly clean! But I also understand his sense of smell is many times greater than mine, so if he isn't a fan of my soap, I get it. Anyway I looked around to get a lay of the land, and of the people that had come with us. Along with Teams BOLT, RWBY, and NPR was team Crundle...with Jaune?

What the hell is Jaune doing, standing next to his bully looking all buddy buddy for? He should be standing next to his team, his friends...not some team of two bit thugs who thinks they're all that and a bag of cheese puffs.

I glanced at Pyrrha and saw that she had a dark look of disappointment and a tinge of anger on her face before it passed and she saw me looking at her. I gave her a sympathetic smile and tapped my chest. She was confused for a moment, then walked over to me.

"What was that?"

I chuckled, but it was in fact Oliver who replied for me.

"It means: 'I got you bro' to our team. In essence, I've got your back."

I nodded and actually spoke out.

"Yeah I was trying to say you can always come with us! We would love to have your company, even with... Nora's...crazy antics around sugar."

Pyrrha giggled at that and was about to speak when Glynda cleared her throat. She didn't actually say anything until we had all gathered around her in a rough circle and we had gotten quiet.

"Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sight-see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so."

The group stops, and Jaune, grunting and carrying a large case with six empty glass jars on top, tries to catch up with them and ends up bumping into Cardin. The bully scowls at Jaune, who attempts to feign innocence by whistling tunelessly.

I just rolled my eyes, what a pushover. Ugh, how did this schmuck even get into Beacon? Let alone Crundle. I mean I get it, Team Crundle have decent enough skills to get in, but they're all tools and assholes. Jaune however, he's pretty useless. I shook my head as I turned back to Glynda, who was once again speaking to us all.

She was holding up a full jar of our objective.

"Each of you is to gather one jar's worth of red sap. However, this forest is full of the creatures of Grimm, so be sure to stay by your teammates. We will rendezvous back here at 4 o'clock. Have fun!"

While Yang and Ruby smile at one another, Jaune attempts to (noisily) sneak away from Cardin to his team, but the blackmailer sees this and grabs Jaune by the back. I shared a look with Y/n and it was obviously not impressing us how weakly Jaune is trying to escape.

Cardin smirked evilly and called out to Jaune loud enough for all of us to hear.

"Come on, buddy - let's go!"

Jaune miserably looks up at his team, where Nora and Ren are already walking into the forest's depths and Pyrrha is staring sadly at the scene. Dropping his gaze, Jaune turns and follows CRDL, to the disappointment of a sighing Pyrrha before she continues on.