The Thunder Tactician

Y/n POV

As I awoke, I didn't even have to open my eyes to figure out that everything hurt. My head, my chest, my fists, and my legs. Everything ached. I opened my eyes and my head started hurting too. The light flickering in my eyes was bright and sunny. I groaned as I sat up. 

"Ugh. Why does everything hurt?"

Then I heard a soft chuckle and I snapped my head in that direction and called a bolt of lightning into my right hand. For some reason I was on 100% alert status immediately. 

But it was for nothing. The origin of the chuckle was none other than a coffee sipping Ozpin. He had an amused look on his face as he sipped his coffee once again. 

"That might be because you overused your Aura yesterday. Not many people would have been able to kill over a hundred Grimm with their Semblance, then catch a part of a mountain...and still manage to have enough energy to take down a Leviathan class Grimm. Given you did have help, but without you, they would have surely died before we got there to help."

He paused as the events of yesterday ran through my brain on fast forward. I also caught a glimpse of Summer beside me, restraining herself with Ozpin in the room. My memories were hazy so I wasn't sure what all I did. 

"After seeing Yang and Blake about to be overrun, I honestly don't remember much but pain, the urge to protect, and the crackling of my lightning. So I'll take your word for it sir. Did you...keep your word to me sir?"

Ozpin raises an eyebrow. Then he nods silently. I sighed in relief as he began to speak. 

"I don't quite understand it, but as you requested, you are not the leader of your team. Which is the other three young men you were fighting with in an effort to let the other students escape. They are quite confused as to why Gray Buster is their leader and not their Thunder Tactician."

Now it was my turn to raise my brow in surprise. 

"Thunder Tactician? Where did that come from?"

Ozpin tapped his chin for a moment before replying. 

"I do believe I heard Mr. Buster mention it's a nickname derived from your semblance and the name of his group's Founder. I do believe she was Called the Fairy Tactician. She actually won a war for Mistral against a kingdom of bandits over 400 years ago. It was said her predictions and battle tactics were unbeatable."

I huffed in surprise, and also the pain of sitting up straighter. That was a lot to live up to. This was a sentiment I echoed to Ozpin. 

"Wow...that's quite the legacy to live up to..."

He nodded to me and used it as a launching point for his next speech. 

"Exactly. But both they and I believe you deserve it. We went over the footage of your orders in battle against the Thunderjaw. You didn't make a single erroneous decision. In fact, if the others hadn't returned you would have possibly been able to cripple the Thunderjaw without injury to your comrades and hold out until we got there with the Bullhead and it's heavy weapons. This brings back to my mind the question as to why on Remnant you would purposely ask not to be in a position that you are perfect for. I respect your decision...but could you explain to me why you made this decision?"

I sighed and looked over at Summer, who knew exactly why. Then she squeezed my hand and I looked back at Ozpin. 

"Back in my village...I was something called a Guardian. I was one of the most powerful people in my village. I was in charge of the defense of the village."