Leadership Material

Y/n POV

After the most awkward class with Glynda, We all walked out together. Well they walked out, I kinda hobbled. Weiss left earlier than the rest of them, obviously she and Ruby were still at it. So before anyone could talk to me I was about to walk over to Ruby and reassure her. Summer came up to me.

"Do you mind talking to Ruby for me?"

I smirked at her with a soft expression. Then she got it.

"That's...what you were about to do...right?"

I just nodded since there were people who could hear us. Then she smiled.

"I should have known you were already on it. When was it? When you saw Weiss storming off?"

I shook my head as we got closer to Ruby.

"When class let out?"

Again I shook my head. Then Summer smiled even more. She asked a final question as I placed a hand on Ruby's shoulder.

"It was as soon as Oliver told you wasn't it?"

I nodded my head and smiled as Ruby turned around to me with a sad look on her face. Summer mumbled to herself as Ruby raised her eyes to meet mine.

"You're just a big softie aren't ya?"

Ruby herself mumbled to me.

"Hi Y/n. How are you feeling?"

I looked her over and could tell that this thing with Weiss really had her down.

"I'm not worried about how I'm feeling. Physical distress can heal. You look like something's bothering you Rubes. Tell me what it is."

Despite herself, she smiled at me.

"Well there is this one thing…"

She paused and looked down at the floor. This must really be getting to her.

"And what might that be Rubes?"

We followed the rest of our teams at a short distance. We may not have the most time before our last class of the day, but I was determined to get this out of Ruby.

"Do you promise not to laugh at me?"

I looked at her and held out my hands.

"Of course I do! Who do you take me for Rubes?"

Instead of giggling she just sighed.

"Weiss is convinced that I am a crappy leader of team RWBY."

I shook my head.

"And she's wrong, I mean what evidence did she give?"

Rubes looked like she was about to start crying. So I just hugged her to my side as we walked. She seemed surprised, but then leaned on me.

"She said I was too young, that I didn't do anything to be leader of the team! That I didn't earn it."

I snorted.

"First, you are the only one who listened to me and understood it was tactically sound to escape while I distracted them. Then when I was out of commission, you caught up on the plan immediately. That sounds like a leader who understands strategy to me. Second. If you didn't do anything to earn the position, even the stuff I just mentioned, then what the hell did she do to earn it? Train up in her silver tower? No, what matters is what you have to offer. She may be a good warrior, but you, you Little Cinnamon Roll, have the qualities of a budding leader. So don't let that arrogant Schnee judge you from her house in the clouds. She doesn't even know how to fly in the clouds. When it came down to it, I don't think she did anything in initiation to prove herself. And you have already helped Professor Goodwitch and me keep Torchwick from getting more dust. So if anything, she hasn't earned her spot."