Chapter 94~ Awkard Comfort

Karliah and I rounded the corner of one of the many hospital hallways. My eyes fell upon Sakura who had one hand on the handle and the other on the door. Her eyes were cast downwards towards the floor, a melancholy look plastered on her face. My steps seemed to startle her as she looked towards me and the white wolf at my side. 

"Oh, Hi, Astara-San. Karliah." She bowed her head slightly. Something was off, her short pink hair cast over her eyes and a forced smile upon her lips. Reaching out with my arms I walked towards her.

"I'm sorry," She fell into my arms, tears falling from her face as she cried into my shoulder. Awkwardly I moved my arms so they were placed in what I think is a comfortable position for her.  "I-i is he really g-gone?" 

I didn't answer. What was I supposed to say? Tell her everything was going to be fine?

Lies. 

Could I tell her that everyone got out unscathed? 

Lies. 

Was everyone going to be fine after the mission? 

Lies. 

All I could do was show her wordless comfort, people generally find a form of comfort in a human's touch. But was I doing it right? Was she feeling better? Or was it worse because I had indirectly been a cause of the pain she's feeling? I could have done more to stop Sasuke that night, I could have forcefully made him stay. 

"Yes." Putting it bluntly and out there seemed to be the option I went with. I uttered the word before thinking it over, was it the right thing to say? Why am I thinking so much about whether it is or not, I would usually just say what I was thinking.  

"You're okay," It wasn't a lie, physically she was fine. However mentally I had no idea what was going on inside her head. Patting, her back, I could feel her tears slowly come to a halt as her back stilled. 

"You here for a visit?" She jumped back, quickly brushing away at her eyes before looking over to the new voice. Casting a sideways glance, I could see Tsunade with a chart of some sort in hand. "Seems news travels fast." 

Tsunade pushed past us both, b-lining for the door. Taking in a quick deep breath, regaining any skewed posture I had, before following her. The door was pushed aside by the new Hokage, as she made her way in, Sakura and I following in tow. 

"Naruto." Sakura's voice was slightly hoarse but other than that it wasn't noticeable that she had been previously crying. I glanced over Naruto, he had bandages covering his head, and neck that disappeared underneath his clothing. Shikamaru was also in the room, sitting at the foot of the bed. For whatever reason, I seem to keep crossing paths with the chunin. 

"I heard that your injuries were pretty serious, you seem to be doing well considering." Tsunade looked down at her chart before looking back at the blonde boy. The air seemed thicker in here compared to the hallway, undoubtedly there was unsaid tension building. A looked down as Karliah brushed against my side. 

"I- I'm, sorry Sakura," Well here we go again. Was she going to break down again? Her eyes widened before pushing on a smile. 

"Sorry? What do you got to be sorry about?" She took a few steps forward towards the window. She was putting up a facade for Naruto's sake. I think she might be shifting the pressure she put onto Naruto, in a sense to make him feel adequate. "Lemme guess, you got reckless and went off half-cocked again, huh? Look at you now, you look like a mummy!" 

"I'm so sorry," His voice lowered, looking down at the sheets. "Why do you have the curtains closed? The weather's nice, why don't we open them up!"