Chapter 79~ Promotion

"Did you hear that team seven came back late last night?" Rin asked, slaving over the stove as he cooked something up. Playing with the loose ends of my hair, the weird pit in my stomach seemed to well up. "Not to mention my little sister became a chunin this morning! Along with that Nara boy right?" 

"Yes, Rin. Apparently, we were to be recommended by lord third, but I also think that Tsunade has more to gain from me becoming a chunin." I pondered the thought as I recalled what she said to Shikamaru and I, plus the few words she uttered to me as we left. "Or maybe you should stop being a negative nancy and just accept the fact that you deserved this title. You had this coming, especially with your display at the chunin exams." 

"I still can't help but think something bigger is at play, she wants something undoubtedly. Not to mention that she still hasn't called me back in to talk with Jiraya." I rolled my eyes and ran my hand through my curly and unruly hair. A hand ran through my hair and ruffled it up. "You have really pretty hair, it's such a shame you wear it in tight braids or ponytails all the time." 

"Hm? I guess I do, I just can't bring myself to cut it. So it being pulled back is just far more battle efficient." I shrugged dropping my hands to the side, slumping back into the couch. "You should go visit your team, you haven't seen them in a whole week. Did you even see them before they left?" 

"No, I didn't, I haven't talked to Naruto recently either." Rin placed the green tactical vest over my legs with a smirk. "Why don't you bring them the good news, I'm sure they'll be proud." 

"I guess you have a point." I stood up and stretched my arms over my head. My brown hair fell down to my waist, the natural curves shortening the overall length. I went to tie it back, only being held back by Rin. "Leave it down for one day? Pretty please?" 

"Whatever, tell the wolves I'll be back later. I know Karliah has been upset with me, tell her to take it easy today." I mentioned the pack, seeing as they have been doing their own things recently. Except for Karliah who seems to be holding a slight grudge against me. He nodded and basically pushed me out the door. "Be good, don't be picking any fights." 

"Yep, whatever Rin." I smiled as I walked off, slipping the vest over my long-sleeved shirt and shorts. I made it to the hospital in one piece and was given directions to the room Sasuke was in. I followed said directions and slid open a door. 

The air was tense, a broken plate was scattered on the floor, with slices of apples amongst the glass. I looked between Sakura and Naruto who seemed to be confused and looking towards Sasuke. My guess is he lashed out at something, and a plate of apples seemed to be the victims. 

"What's going on?" I asked, all of the heads snapping towards me as I raised my voice. I noticed Sasuke bore a tight glare as he looked over at me, then changed it towards Naruto. "Hey, what's with that look!? You don't have to glare at me like that!" 

"You, Naruto." Sasuke didn't even spare the pink-haired girl a look as his voice became harsher by the second. "Yeah, I'm listening." 

"I want you to fight me Now!" 

"What! Were in a hospital, you just got patched up by Granny Tsunade?! What are you talking about." 

"Shut up and just fight me." His eyes were squeezed shut and I felt a sudden shift in the chakra flow around us. He was activating his Sharingan, that was clear. My suspicions were proved correct as his eyes shot open, revealing those red eyes. "Do you really think you saved me? I don't care that she's the fifth Hokage you shouldn't have gotten her involved in this. After all, you did say you wanted to fight." 

He stood from the bed, tossing the blankets aside. I stepped in front of him, snaking my left arm around his neck, not allowing him to move any further. I applied the slightest amount of pressure to assure I had his attention. "You need to calm down, we don't need that mark showing itself." 

"Like you actually care, when did you become a chunin?" His voice was laced in mallus and was directed towards me. I added some more pressure and took a step forward. "Calm down."

"He said he wanted to fight, now he has his chance unless he chickened out that is." At this point, he was ignoring me and staring daggers into Naruto. Just what the hell happened between the two? "You know, I was just thinking I wanted to fight you." 

"Hey, why don't you guys talk about this?" Sakura tried to intervene, I let go of Sasuke and took a step back. The two males were face to face as they looked at one another. I lowered my voice and whispered to her. "They are both tense, you speaking up might make things worse. If at any point one of them is in danger I will stop this rivalry before it can even start."

"Good then follow me." The two filed out of the room and began walking towards the stairs. Her eyes darted from the doorway back to me, her hands fidgeting. "Will you be able to stop them?" 

"If it comes down to that then yes." I muttered, trying my best to soothe her worries. "But that's only in life-threatening cases." 

"You'd think they'd take it that far?" Her eyes widened as I talked, I really think I might be making matters worse. I placed my hands on her shoulders and squeezed my hands lightly. "I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what will happen, I think it's best for you to assume the best of the situation and I assume the absolute worse." 

"Now we should follow them." I muttered and let go of her, turning on my heel to follow the path the two males had taken. I rushed up the stairs, which led me to the hospital roof. They stood a few feet apart and were starring off at one another.  The atmosphere was tense, the hanging sheets that decorated the roof only seemed to add to the ambiance. 

"What does a reckless idiot like you have that makes you think you're so high and mighty!" Sasuke seethed, his fists were balled as he ranted out his anger. Naruto smirked and returned the intensity. "Hah, what happened to the calm and controlled Sasuke? Am I making you nervous? Looks like you picked a fight with me and now your too scared to go through with it. Is that it?" 

"Let's just do this."

"Put on your headband and we will. I'll wait."

"Not to worry I don't need that thing." 

"Just do it come on!" 

If possible the air became thicker, I could feel the chakra that the two were gathering. I subconsciously stuck my hand out in front of Sakura as she went to take a step forward. They were throwing lines back in forth, barely pausing in between.

"There's no reason to put it on, because you won't put a scratch on my forehead." Sasuke pointed to his head, I looked over to Naruto he seemed to be getting more worked up as they conversed. "That's not the point! Putting your headband on is a testament to fighting on equal terms as a leaf shinobi!" 

"There you go acting all high and mighty again. You don't honestly believe that were equals do you?" 

"Heck yeah, I do! All this time I never once thought I was inferior to you in anyway!"

"You're an embarrassment!" 

"Only because next to me your embarrassed at how weak you are! Isn't that right Sasuke!?" I looked between the two they were both worked up and frustrated. 

"Naruto!"

"Sasuke!" 

They lunged forwards, exchanging their first blows, only to be blocked by one another. If they keep going like this they most definitely will use lethal force.