Chapter 67~ Kakashi

"Have a good day Astara-San." Kurenai smiled as I exited her home. She had been kind enough to hear me out and accepted my apology for my earlier actions. "Thanks again."

I walked away, now I needed to see Asuma. I was completely unsure as to how he would react. He was still some kind of a mystery to me if I was being honest. I had received directions from Kurenai and began to make my way towards his abode. I lingered at the front door for a few moments before knocking on the door. I waited for an answer, subconsciously rocking on my heels. 

"Hello, oh Astara how can I help you?" I was greeted by none other than Asuma himself who had a small smile on his face. "Good morning to you to, do you mind if we have a conversation?"

"Not at all," He walked back inside and I slowly followed him to another door that led to an outside porch. I was slightly confused when I saw Shikamaru here. I scanned the scene and saw the Shoji board seemingly in the midst of a match. I nodded figuring out what was going on, Asuma took a seat across from said boy and moved a piece. I took a seat opposite of the board and still had no clue on how the game was played. "So let me guess this is about Kakashi?" 

"I still haven't talked to him if that's what you're wondering," I muttered, trying to read the jonin but nothing was jumping out at me in the slightest. I also took a little bit of a glance at Shikamaru who seemed intrigued by my sudden appearance. "I see. He was just looking out for you." 

"So I've been told, it was unnecessary however." I said in reply, distracting myself as Shikamaru moved another piece. "I actually came here to apologize for my actions." 

"To me, you're apologizing to the wrong person. I hate to say it but you saved our ass, not to mention got some valuable information. That intuition of yours really is something else." Asuma laughed, another piece moved and was set into motion. "I was reckless and put everyone in danger so I wanted to send my absolutes for that matter."

"Nobody blames you I hope you know that. I know that Kakashi doesn't either he is more so upset in the sense that you constantly do more than your responsibility. If I'm being honest I think it scares Kakashi that your so willing to go to such lengths. I know about the little stunt you pulled at the Chunin exams too, that just makes Kakashi worry even more." The things that came from his mouth held much reason behind them and I hated that. How did he know about my attempt on the roof? "You put too much pressure on yourself. Kakashi isn't doing this for you, he's also doing it for himself. He wants the best for his students."

"I hate that you're right." I let out a sigh and slowly stood up. I could tell words were on the edge of Shikamaru's tongue, but he was biting them back. That was clear to see. I showed my respect to Asuma and muttered another apology for my suddenness and then left. 

"Only Kakashi remains." I sighed, the soft breeze brushing through my hair, I took my time in making my way to the hospital which is where Kakashi currently is. 

"Oh, can I help you?" I was asked by the front desk as soon as I entered. I tapped my foot slightly, unsure of how to not come off as rude. "Kakashi Hatake?" 

"I'm sorry what was that?" She asked a smile on her face, she looked slightly confused from my actions. "I'm looking for Kakashi Hatake."

"Oh yes, second room down the hall on floor two." I nodded to show my gratitude, then left at a rather quick pace. I darted down the hall, getting past this less than ideal situation. 

I don't know how much time exactly I stood outside the door. Long enough for him to have noticed my presence I'm sure. I pumped my heels a few times, but every time I went to reach for the door it seemed as if I was glued to the ground. I raised my hand and slapped myself. 

"Come on Kritanta, what's wrong with you?" I told myself as I reached for the door. I let out a deep breath and slid the door open. I glanced around to see Kakashi sitting on the bed, his nose in a book. 

"Took you long enough." 

"Sorry." I quickly muttered out, surprising myself as the single word left my lips. 

"That's a first, never thought I'd see the day where Kritanta Astara apologizes to me." He laughed, sitting up in the bed. I rolled my eyes and stepped into the room, the tension my body once held seemingly depleted. I pulled up a chair and sat next to the bed. "I'm sorry I overreacted."

"Don't be, this is new for you." New for me? What did that even mean? I put myself in direct danger even though I was ordered not it. That's not really new to me. "I'm afraid I don't follow." 

"You're not used to fighting alongside others. You know what you said to Lord Third when he asked you about laying down your life for the village?" I thought it over for a second, I nodded slowly. "Yes I said, that I wouldn't." 

"But you have, from the very beginning Kritanta. You may not realize it, but you put your life on the line far more than I have for the team. You're used to being by yourself, you're confused so you fall back on the training you've had. It's in you to protect those you're a truly kind-hearted person whos had it rough." I furrowed my brow taking in everything he was saying to me. I thought back to when we're in the land of waves and what Inari had said to me. 

"Alright, Kid, my name is Kritanta." I crouched down to his level, to meet his black eyes. "Everyone says your mean, but you don't seem mean." 

"Whatever do you mean?" I asked with a slight chuckle. I guess people thought of me as mean, good to know. "Your eyes." 

"My eyes?" I asked while looking into his, they were soft, too innocent for his own good. "Yeah, they're pretty, they show kindness. But you make everyone think that your not." 

I let out a light chuckle, thinking back to the contents of said mission. The forest I had cut down, and the downfall of two shinobi who deserved better than I, yet they weren't granted with such. 

"So no I don't expect you to jump at the offer of help. Not in the slightest, most of the time it won't be offered but just given. There is nothing you could do to stop it, just like there is no stopping you once you've made up your mind. I just really hope that isn't a bad quality to have Kritanta." I let out a sigh, relaxing slightly into my seat as I stared at the attention-grabbing ceiling. "I'm afraid to let people in again, I don't want to lose everything again. I don't think I could handle it." 

"Uncertainty is unpredictable, but you don't have to worry. What you have here is special, bonds don't just disappear overnight. I can't tell you to stop thinking this way, but I can guarantee with my life that you don't have to be scared." I let him pull me into a light-hearted hug, guilt building up inside of me. "I hope you know I'm just as prepared to lay down my life for everyone, even if I say otherwise. I've grown attached, only time will tell what will happen from here on out." 

I just hope it's a worthwhile outcome.