Chapter 27~ Unwanted Confrontations

I sat staring in shock, as two pale and unsure arms wrapped around me. I was unsure how to react, this was the second time she had done this. It reminded me of the time when she fell asleep on my shoulder. I was unsure of how to handle this once again.

"I don't think you're a monster, and the same goes for the boys over there." She said, her voice was soft and soothing compared to my harsh and abrasive voice. I tried tirelessly to not show the lone tear that trickled down my cheek. But once again my body had failed me.

"I have to let down the genjutsu I have, the paper bomb will go off then we will have to fight again," I explained in a slightly hoarse voice, that slowly faded back into my regular monotone one. She took a minute to let the words sink in, then nodded slightly. I placed my hands in front of me and closed my eyes, quickly I made a few basic hand signs with one small word the Jutsu was dispersed. "Release."

I nodded towards Haruno as the paper bomb erupted in the distance. I jumped to my feet along with Haruno and stood slightly ahead of her. Three genins who were presumably here to take our scroll showed themselves. "I was unsure of why the little thing ran away after you threw the kunai. Had you found the paper bomb?"

"Seeing as it exploded mere meters near you, I'm gonna let you guess," I started with nothing backing me up. My face was blank, and my voice sounded almost irritable. "Smart girls, but it's not you that we want to fight. It's the one who received Orochimaru's gift."

"You're going to have to try harder than that. I know all about the snake's lackeys, I was his prodigy after all." I let a devious smirk cross my pale and almost lifeless face. I started to playout all the ways this battle could fold out, putting any detail possible into my calculations. My chakra was running on low, very low for my liking. The genjutsu I had performed earlier had taken the last chunk of useable chakra. Our win percentage is only about 35%.

I took in a deep breath in, then gave the nod to Haruno. She threw a kunai towards the trap she had set earlier. All my calculations had led to higher rates when we confused the enemy, without chakra it proved to be difficult than expected. Not to mention my more exposed body, without a shirt covering most on my lower stomach the enemy can see and have more accurate attacks against me.

The log swang towards the three sound ninjas. I unsheathe my katana from my back halter, I was going to have to rely on more taijutsu then I would have liked. "Keep our comrades safe, Haruno. I'm gonna fight them head-on."

I deliberately avoided the subject of chakra, if I told her about my shortage she would second guess my actions. Which can't happen given our current outnumbered situation. As they avoided the log I lunged towards them.

If I remember correctly, from before the first exam one of these genin use sound to fight. So fighting him close up would be reckless, but the reckless act could either make or break our percentage. A risk I was willing to take right now.

I pursued the sound user first, unaware of the other ninja's abilities. Taking care of what was hopefully their heavy hitter would be beneficial, that's if I could do it. Right now odds don't seem to be on my side, especially with my lack of mobility and chakra.

"Care to tell me what your name is." I spat out, my tone is almost sadistic and harsh. I couldn't see his mouth move due to the bandages covering almost all of his face beside one eye. "I could but I already know all about you Kritanta Astara."

I muttered a small groan and clashed my sword with his arm gauntlet. I smirked to myself as I kicked him back, quickly regaining my composure. "You, aren't half bad. The name is Dosu Kinuta. It'll be the last thing on your mind when you die."

I scoffed and noticed the other two sound genin haven't made any threat towards me. As I looked from the girl to the other guy, Dosu had aimed his arm towards me. What was he planning to do?

I was quickly torn away from my thoughts as I dropped my sword and clutched my head. The ringing was so loud. So this just happens to be the worst thing to happen. He can use his sound waves from a distance too. Before I knew what was happening his arm was on my crouched back. "Kritanta!"

I let out an agonizing scream, one I haven't felt in a while. My entire body was shaking, his waves traveled through my body with immense power. A kunai whizzed past Dosu, I looked hesitantly to the source. Haruno was standing with what seems like an afraid face. Was she trying to help me?

My body was still shaking from the waves, my screams have gone horse and were now lost in my throat. "Kin, Zaku, take care of the pink-haired girl."

I found some strength left in me as I popped up, the top of my head connecting to his jaw. He staggered backwards. Through the white bandages I could see blood staining the once pure cloth. The pain was slowly fading away but wasn't entirely gone.

I could see all the visible bruises and scars my body has obtained. My shoulder wound had most definitely reopened at this point. Plus my hand was starting to sting slightly, what else can go fucking wrong right now?

I felt like hell and just wanted to stop, but I can't let the enemy know that. My pride is too much for that. I could also summon Karliah right about now, but that requires chakra which might make me collapse from exhaustion. The more I pushed myself the more sleep sounded like the right thing to do.

"Don't lose focus, Dosu." I examined my surroundings, trying to scrape together some kind of decent plan. My sword was about two steps away from me. We're in a small clearing, meaning trees are surrounding us. I might be able to use that and my speed to our advantage.

I smirked, showing the enemy I was only getting started. But how long would I be able to keep up my tough facade?