Chapter 56~ Fear

"I'm only giving you one chance to back down Orchimaru!" I seethed as I gripped onto the black steel katana I wielded. I watched as Orchimaru let out a laugh and Tobirama who tried his best to not give in to the will of said snake man. "It's pitiful child it really is."

"I best suggest you back down, for this is a battle you can not win." I held authority in my voice. I went to take a step forward, but quickly realized that my feet were glued to the ground. "You are so pitiful. What happened to the well-triained assassin I created. You stand before me frozen in your own fear, you have become soft Kritanta! Don't you see what this dreaded village has done to you! You are willing to sacrifice your life for a village that has only filled your head with false securities! Nobody here cares for you, they use you! They use you and once you show yourself as a threat they will discard you. You see child, I never did that because you continued to surprise me. However, I highly doubt anybody here would find any salvation in your surprises. You'll be all by yourself again."

"Y-you're wr-rong!" I stumbled on my words, for a second forgetting how to speak. My hands were white from my grasp on my katana, and my mind was racing. "You know I'm not wrong Kritanta."

"Stop it!" I shouted, the sword falling from my hands and hitting the roof tiles and tree roots. I fell to my knees, my hands clutched the side of my head like a lifeline. Tears streaked down my face, flowing like a waterfall out of my golden orbs.

Was he right? Was my only purpose to be used and discarded? An endless cycle of being an item, did I have no input on my future? Was the leaf village only the start of the cycle? How much longer would I have to endure this? Was I only thought about as a monster? Does nobody notice that I have feelings!?

Tears streamed down my face, supplying the roots with fresh water. My mind was filled with conflicting thoughts, I didn't know what to do. For once in my life, statistics didn't seem to play any meaning. I looked up to see nothing but trees surrounding me. My eyes scanned for Orochimaru and Tobirama, but nothing. My eyes snapped open wide, I pushed myself to my feet and picked up Midnight in my hand. Hacking away at the thick roots and branches that had appeared undoubtedly from the First Hokage. I could hear voices not too far away. I picked up the speed I was slicing.

Midnight slid cleanly through the last branch as I could now make out the figures of Sarutobi, and the other three. I used my jutsu to make myself faster. I rushed to his side, but from moments away I saw him complete a set of hand signs. I stopped dead in my tracks, eyes widening, my free hand covering my mouth.

"Sarutobi don't do this!" I shouted through my hand, the voice is heard as muffled. I ignored the searing pain that traveled down my bruised covered body as I continued to sprint towards him. When I got closer Sarutobi spoke up. "Listen Kritanta, you have the Will of Fire inside of you. You are strong and have a bright, but difficult future ahead of you."

"No, you can't do this!" I cried out as I watched the Reaper seal start to take shape, as it reached for Orochimaru. "I'm doing what must be done to protect the village, I wouldn't have it any other way."

"I can help, I can still fight!" I argued to the man who was growing weaker by the second. "Weak old man, you don't even have enough chakra to take my body!"

"I might not, but I will take your arms with me!" Sarutobi shouted as the seal grasped Orchimaru by the arms and seemingly pulled him in. The sweat grew as I could feel the chakra leaving his body. "Kritanta, I have two final missions for you, two that you can never let fail."

"I- I understand." I nodded and took a knee to hear Sarutobi's last words. He took in a sharp breath, and I could feel the tears threatening to overflow from my golden orbs. I composed myself as much as possible. "One, you must never lose your way of the leaf village and protect it. You have made bonds here, some of which can never be broken. Strengthen these bonds and treat them like their everything. Don't let the will of fire die off inside of you, strive to do better, and be better than you were yesterday. It's okay to be emotional, even if you don't like to, it shows you care and just how much you enjoy living."

"Yes sir," I nodded and squeezed eyes shut, awaiting the second mission I would receive here. "Lastly, use that technique and get out of here! That is the last order from your Hokage!"

"But I-" I stuttered and stood up, watching as Orochimaru was struggling against Sarutobi's grip. "There is no retaliation, that is an order!"

"I-"

"Now Kritanta!" I reluctantly made a few hand signs and mentally linked to a kunai that wasn't too far away from here. I flashed back to the other side of the roof, where the roof tiles were still intact.

I collapsed to my knees, clutching Midnight in my grasp. I stared at the ground, unsure of how much time has passed. I saw Orochimaru leaving, pain etched onto his distasteful face. The barrier came down, but I hadn't moved. Nothing had happened. Tears had stopped flowing as I stared into the sky.

I steadily picked up Midnight and held in a few inches from my abdomen. "I'm sorry Sarutobi, I can't proceed with the mission."

I closed my eyes and planned to let the sword I treasure dearly, take the remainder of my life.

"I'm sorry everyone."