Chapter 38~ Astara Compound

"Kri-Chan! Wait!" I saw Naruto waving me down. I raised a brow at him, seeing as the sun was setting he should be home by now, oh wait isn't he an orphan? No matter may as well see what he has to say.

"Naruto?" I questioned, maintaining my flat tone. However, him being here does pique my interest. "Kakashi-Sensei said that you're leaving! You missed my match with Kiba, I beat him real good."

"My condolences, I bet your match was rigorous. I shall see you shortly, tell Haruno that I'll see her around. Uchiha too if you'd please."

"Believe it!" He ran closer to me, and hugged me while I sat shocked on Karliah's back. "Oh and if this dude is mean to ya don't be afraid to tell me. I'll beat him up for you!"

"Okay Naruto, I must be on my way now. I expect that you'll be stronger when I return." I nodded my head, he backed away from me, his smile never faltering. "Believe it Kri-Chan!"

I patted Karliah on the back and nodded to the rest of the wolves. We started to run out of the village, but I heard someone yell as we vanished from sight. "See Ya Later Kri-Chan!"

"Quite the person isn't he?" Rin laughed, I shot him a cold glare. "He's on my squad. Naruto Uzumaki."

"He seems to be quite fond of you." Kyler added in, gaining a nod from Akari.

"That boy has a crush!" Arrow butted in with a snicker. I rolled my eyes and laid back into Karliah's fur. "Tired Princess?"

"Just a little, I haven't slept very well over the past few days, with the exams and all." I shrugged, feeling every step Karliah took.

"Not too much longer and the compounds will be in sight." Rin confirmed with a soft smile, or so I assume because my eyes were shut. I hummed a response, soon I'll be back to the place where the end began.

I took in a deep breath, the panting of wolves filled my senses as Karliah slowed her pace. "Princess we've arrived at the destination."

"So we have." I spoke to myself, opening my eyes I was met with ruins of a once lively village. Memories flooded my mind, the street we stood in is where I ran to find safety. We strutted slowly down the streets, we passed a fountain. The fountain where I had thought was a swimming pool.

I almost smiled at that last thought, but was quickly brought down to earth by the grand house that stood before us. The house which I spent most of my young childhood, the part which I wasn't corrupted.

I dismounted Karliah, and stood in front of the house. Taking in the details I noticed many things. The hole in the wall where I had gotten mad at Rin for taking my sandwich, so I tried to punch him, however I hit the house instead.

Or where the windowsill was broken, I was trying to sneak out, but misjudged the strength of the small ledge, and fell down four feet. How naive I was to think I could stand on the ledge.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by an arm slinging over my shoulder. "You alright Tanta?"

I nodded slowly, accepting his hold hesitantly. If only he knew how many bad memories are held in this village. Where I was shunned, or beaten, but was too scared to say anything.

"Let's go inside." I uttered, barely over a whisper. I pushed myself from Rin and opened the door with a small creaking sound.

I stepped onto the wood floor, the paintings and other wall decors scattered the floor. Blood still soaked into some pictures, however, there were no remains of the corpses. "Rin what happened to the remains?"

"Mother and I came back about a week after the attack, we buried all of the corpses that were left."

"You're telling me that some were unaccounted for?" I prodded the golden orbed boy. He nodded slowly, assumingly debating if he should tell me or not.

"Yes, father and the village elders were nowhere to be found." I looked at the ground, maybe even a spot where an Astara was killed. "I see."

I walked around the house, stopping at a door. I slowly pushed it open, revealing my old room. It was painted a dark blue color, stars hung overhead so I could see them when I slept. My bed was still unmade from the day I left. Even my breakfast from that day still remained on my bedside table, but it was eaten leaving just the dishes.

I sat on my bed, a small cloud of dust formed around me as the particles dispersed into the air. Everything was the same, from the curtains to the rug, but one major detail is the people who resided here are dead.

"Princess?" I looked at the doorway to see Karliah standing there with her wolfish teeth set into a frown. "Are you alright?"

"Come'er." She walked over to me, her eyes softening as I embraced her white mane. "It's all my fault."

"Princess, it isn't like that, I doubt that it was your fault." I shook my head at her attempt to comfort. "I couldn't do anything!"

"Kritanta you were four, most four-year-olds are still learning how to talk and walk, but you had mastered the sword." I scoffed at her words, I wasn't anything worthwhile. "So I was nothing but a prodigy who couldn't use her powers in the time of need."

"I fear whatever I say, you'll find a way to make it sound bad." I snuggled closer to her mane, I just don't know what to feel anymore. "You should sleep Princess, the stars know you need it."

"Can you stay?" I asked quietly, still hiding my face in her fur. "I'll never leave you Princess. Where would you like to sleep?"

"Here," Was my short reply, I let myself feel comforted by Karliah. Karliah got adjusted on the ground, then I curled up close to her and let the feeling of sleep overcome me.