Chapter 72~ Possibilities

"So you're telling me we could be dealing with a hostage situation?" Kiba asked, his eyes wide as he clenched onto Akari. I nodded my teeth clenching as I thought of the possibilities. "All I'm saying is that is one of the situations we could find ourselves into with the information we are given. My brother can handle himself for the most part, along with the two wolves he had with him. So if it is a hostage situation I want you guys to hide, I'll deal with it. If they were able to take out Rin, the means they are strong."

"But isn't there a chance that they could've caught him by surprise?" I watched as we rounded another corner before replying. "That is true, which means they could ambush us as well. We have to be aware and not jump into anything carelessly."

"That goes for all of us right?" Shikamaru asked, and I swear I heard Karliah snicker under her breath. "Yes, all of us. From this point on I think it's best if we conceal our chakra from this point on. I don't know what they're expecting."

I did as I said and concealed my chakra, and I felt Shikamru do the same. We have been moving for about two hours at a fast pace. If I were to make an educated guess, I'd say we had about half an hour more to the general area of where the mission was supposed to take place. I took in a deep breath, the smell of blood seemed to fill my senses.

"Princess do you smell it too?" I heard Karliah mutter, I nodded slowly and motioned for Akari to stop. She did as commanded and I received looks from the two males. "It smells like blood, but there is something about it."

"It's not human." Kiba interjected himself, his nose pointed upwards. "It smells like dog blood."

"No, it's wolf blood." Then realization hit me as the smell seemed to grow stronger. I jumped off of Karliah and landed in a crouch close to the ground. I poured some of my chakra into the ground to try and find where the blood is. "Shit, this isn't good."

I stood up and ran ahead a bit, my feet collided with the ground as I felt something wet fall from my eyes. I ran for a few minutes before I heard something ahead of me. I collapsed to my knees and assessed the situation. A black wolf, unconscious, and the fur matted in a crimson liquid. I placed my head where his heart should be, unaware of the subconscious tears I was shedding.

"Oh thank the stars," I uttered when I felt the slow heartbeat of Arrow. "Arrow come on, you have to tell me what happened."

"Kritanta what's, oh shit this doesn't look good." Kiba came sliding to his knees on the other side of Arrow. I heard Shikamaru and the wolves come running along not too long after. I placed my hand over a large gash, the blood coating my hands.

"Princess if Arrow's in a state like this..." Her voice trailed off as she walked towards me. I felt my body tense up, of course, I had already thought that. "I know Karliah! If Arrow is in this much pain, I bet that's how they got to Rin."

"I'm sorry, but I think I'm confused. What does this wolf have to do with Rin being hurt?" Shikamaru asked, I resisted the urge to lose whatever cool I had left and let out a shaky sigh. "Arrow, this wolf, is Rin's star guardian. Just like how Karliah's mine. We know each other inside and out, but we also share pain receptors. Meaning anytime one of us gets hurt the other feels it, I'm betting that's how they got to Rin was through Arrow."

I could tell that he was biting his tongue from asking anything further. At this moment I was grateful for that. I fished out Rin's shirt from my bag and got into a groove of patching Arrow up as much as possible. I reached a gash at the inner of his leg, I pressed lightly and I felt Arrow's whole body tense up. I tore off my own shirt and wrapped the tank top around his hind leg. I pulled it tight and kept myself focused as he whimpered from the pain.

"Arrow I need you and your loud mouth right now," I whispered as I continued to use my limited medical ability to do what I can. I placed my hand over some small cuts and watched as they closed ever so slowly. "If you can hear me I need you to tell me what happened."

I waited a few seconds hoping to get a reponse. His teeth were clenched as he let out another whimper. I looked around and pointed at Kiba. "You're an Inuzuka? Do you know anything we could do to help him?"

"That's my sisters and mom's job, I don't really know anything that you've haven't done yet." He answered quickly his face held sorrow, or maybe that was disappointment. "No it's okay, I just thought that may- I'm rambling now, excuse my actions."

"Fire cr-cracker?" I heard Arrow ever so lightly mutter through his teeth. I nodded, some hope flooding back into my senses. "Yes, Arrow?"

"You got to help Rinny Boy." He panicked, I felt his heart rate quicken as he mentioned Rin. "That's what we're here to do, I need you to tell me what went on."

"Right, Rin, Kyler, and I decided it be best to ambush the man. So we waited in spots for about a day." He started, I could tell from his is voice that talking hurts him. But we needed this information to help Rin. "I had fallen asleep, they found me first I guess and beat the crap out of me. There was more than one guy too, I don't even remember seeing the target either. I could see Rin fall from the tree he was in, and that alerted the attackers. I saw him and Kyler being dragged away, I assumed they left me for dead. I don't know their conditions but I know Rin is hurting, and it's all my fault. I fucked the mission up."

"No you didn't, things go haywire all the time during missions." I consoled the injured wolf as much as possible. "But how long ago did this happen?"

"Last night," He uttered, his words slowly breaking. I nodded, looking around the area. I can't smell and more blood, nor do I see any other signs of commotion. "Akari, do you think you can manage bringing Arrow back to the village? If we can heal him Rin will have a better change."

"I don't think I can do it alone M'lady. My apologies." My gaze shifted over to Karliah who seemed to already know what I was thinking. "Princess is that a wise choice?"

"No, but it is my only option. You two are able to keep up with one another." I told her, Karliahs head shaking. "I'm not okay with this. But if it is your command I'll do it."

"Kiba, Shikamaru help me life Arrow onto Akari's back." They both agreed. We arranged ourselves around him, getting ready to lift him. "On my count. 1."

"2." I'm sorry Arrow this is going to hurt.

"3." We hoisted him off the ground, placing him as gently as possible onto Akari. Karliah positioned herself so she was also assisting Akari. I looked up towards the sky, trying to figure out the time.

"Arrow was it? How many people did you see, and if so was anything in common between them." Shikamaru asked, I turned my head away from the setting sun and towards the two. "I'd say a dozen from what I saw. I wasn't paying to close attention to them so sorry bout' that."

"I see." He drew out, he was obviously thinking over the situation. I looked over to the wolves. "Make sure he gets back safely, see the Inuzuka's or Lady Tsunade. Tell her to keep the arrangement the same, I will report back in a week."

"Understood Princess, stay safe." I sighed and nodded ever so slowly. I can't make a promise that I couldn't keep. They started to run back in the direction of the village.