Chapter 40

"Alessandro?"

"Yes, bella?"

"I'm hungry," I whined, rubbing my stomach.

"Bella I told you a few times whether you were hungry or not and you said no. If you had said otherwise I would've heated up the risotto I've made this afternoon."

"I know, I wasn't hungry at that time."

"You sound like a kid sometimes," Alessandro said, chuckling.

"Well," he continued, sighing, " There's no place here for us to eat, sadly."

"It's okay. But, I'm excited to be meeting Miss. Adams and her baby. We can eat after then," I replied.

"If that's what you say," he shrugged.

Looks like I had to hold my hunger aside for a few hours.

I had told Miss. Adams that I would be visiting her after her delivery one day.

She delivered the baby about a month ago, and I saw pictures of it on social media. I congratulated and sent my wishes to her and her baby.

She called me two days ago asking about something, and our conversation diverted about her baby and struggles post-delivery. She offered me that I could come and visit her anytime soon, so I agreed.

And here I am, on the way to her house, with Alessandro beside me.

I practically had to nag him to come with me. The woman always told me how much of a caring boss Alessandro is and the least he could do is visit her.

I don't know why, but I have this feeling of excitement in me. Maybe because I'm the only child of my parents and not being close to my relatives that much. I've never witnessed a baby in my life, other than on TV and in public, of course.

And we're definitely NOT going to talk about me having children. I just got ventured into adulthood and settled down in a job, for god's sake.

Those thoughts will have to be put aside till I've reached the point where I've already achieved my dreams and become who I wanted to be.

"Turn right at Weatherby Avenue," the sound of the voice assistant, breaking out of my reverie.

"What were you thinking so hard about, huh?" Alessandro questioned with a slight frown on his face.

I shook my head in response, telling him it's nothing.

"Is there anything bugging you?" he asked again, ruffling my hair.

"Thinking about my future," I said softly.

"With your hard working self and that good heart of yours, I'm determined your future will be as good as you expected, if not better."

He held my hand and said, "and remember, I'll always be behind you, supporting you for each stepping stone you take, okay?" he lightly kissed the back of my hand, then rubbing it softly as if it was delicate.

"You just say the right things at the right time, Alessandro."

"I've been told that I have the talent to cheer people up, amongst other things," he told me, flashing me the smug look.

Laughing, I said, "Let's go inside. Her house is right across the street."

We got out of the car, walking towards Miss. Adams house.

"Wait a second," I said.

I quickly walked to the boot of the car. Opening it, I took out the presents I had bought for Miss. Adams and her baby.