Chapter 16

Look so good, yet, look so sweet
Baby you deserve the treat
Diamonds on my wrist so he can call me ice cream
You can double dip 'cause I know you like me

I was singing along to Ice Cream by BLACKPINK while driving back to my parents' house. It's been over two months since I've gone there and I miss them a lot. I was too invested in my new job till I forgot to tell them I got the job in the first place. I got an earful from them as I told them the during the weekend of my employment.

They were proud of me when they heard the news. I didn't tell them that my qualifications were somewhat useless since Amelia herself offered me the job.

It took me around two hours to get there. Only the music playing from my phone was keeping me sane at this point. Driving for long periods of time alone is something that I avoid. Nonetheless, I need to meet my dear parents.

I didn't tell them that I was coming back. I wanted my visit to be a surprise. I could see the shock on my mother's face as she saw me in front of her. Tears welled up on her beautiful brown eyes, which were like pools of honey.

"Oh, god, Amy. Why didn't you tell me you were coming? I could've baked you your favorite butter cake," she said, sniffling and wiping her tears.

"Mom, I wanted this to be a surprise. Come here," I replied, pulling her into a hug.

"What are you standing here outside? Come on in. We have a lot of things to talk about," she said, and both of us went inside.

"Mom? Where's dad?" I asked her.

"He's at the car service center. He'll be back in a few hours."

I kept my purse on my couch and followed my mom to the kitchen.

"So, how's everything going on? How's your new job, to be precise?" Mom asked me while handing me a cup of green tea.

"Surprisingly, it's okay. I thought it would be much more stressful than what I am doing now. My coworkers are fine as well."

"I'm glad you are comfortable with your job. Can't wait for you to be an independent, successful woman one day," she said, which a tone of hope and determination.

"Don't worry, Mom. I will."

We talked and talked and talked, catching up on what had happened in my life since my last visit. I was glad that we were having this conversation. It was like a mother-daughter bonding time.

I heard the door open sometime later.

"Is Amy here? Pumpkin?" I heard a very familiar deep voice say. It was my dad.

Upon hearing that, I ran to the door to hug him. As much as I missed my mom, I missed my dad a lot too. He is basically my first ever best friend in my life. As much as my parents pamper me since I am their only child, they still were strict with me. But thankfully, they don't have to ground me or anything because I was far from a rebel during my childhood.

"Hey pumpkin, how are you? I missed you a lot," Dad said, giving a peck on the forehead.

"I'm fine, dad. I missed you a lot too," I replied, both of us walking inside.

"Why didn't you tell us you were coming?" he asked me with a frown on his face.

"I wanted it to be a surprise since it's been a while I've visited you guys."

"Honey, I asked her that as well. I could've made her something, you know?" Mom yelled from the kitchen.

"Since we couldn't cook anything for you now. We're having dinner at a restaurant tonight."Before I got to say something, he interjected me.