Steep

The past two weeks had been hard on Liz, and it was obvious to everyone when she returned home in some degree of frustration. Spencer's program was due to start within a few months, which gave him time to take some more stress off of her calendar.

He stood at the entrance of the bureau's legal team office, finally spotting his wife in a frantic speed walk, slamming documents onto every desk she passed by. "Eliza, can you please tell Agent Rudy for the 22nd time, I will not handle his divorce case! Tom, I need everything you have on Fowler case! Come on, people, we're not here to be lazy!" She resisted the urge to roll her eyes, approaching Spencer. "Hey, what're you doing here?"

"Well, it's," He looked at his watch. "2 hours and 29 minutes past the end of your shift, I thought I'd come pick you up. You missed dinner, too."

"Yeah, just give me a minute." Reaching for her coat and purse, she pulled the article of clothing over her shoulders. "Rogers, if I don't have that file by tomorrow, you're fired! No more messing around! Let's go."

Spencer followed her, partially scared for his own life. The drive home is silent, which was probably better than the usual routine they had once a week when Liz drove herself home.

It was a long day. Everyday was a long day now, and Liz never thought she'd find herself craving her life at the BAU. She parked the car in in the driveway with no intention of getting out, instead she leaned her head against the steering wheel in exhaustion, just barely getting the view of Spencer saying good night to their four children through the window.

It would be 4 minutes longer of listening to whatever song was playing before she picked up the courage to enter her home. "You were out there a while." Spencer commented, pressing a kiss to her cheek when she slumped onto the couch.

"Yeah, a good song came on." 

He sighed, placing the worn out book he'd been reading to the side. "What can I do for you?"

"Nothing."

"No, you're not happy. I know the BAU wasn't the only thing that made you happy, so there must be something I can do that would make you stop sitting in the car and avoiding home."

She shook her head. "There's nothing you can do, Penny."

"There must be. Why won't you let me help?"

"I'm just tired, okay? I'm going to bed, if you want to join me, feel free. If you want to continue this discussion tomorrow, don't bother." 

He always joined her in bed.

They entered the house, no stopping to sit and ponder in the car. The kids were already fast asleep, leaving the two adults alone in the living room. Liz placed her purse and jacket over the sofa, almost glaring at the catastrophe around her. "Why is it always a mess when I come home?" She mumbled, beginning to clean up various toys.

"Sorry, we got carried away." Spencer rushed to help her. "Go to bed, I'll clean this up."

She didn't protest like she would normally, her footsteps heavy as she practically crawled up the stairs, aching for her own bed.

Girls night was a new frequent thing between Tara, Liz and Emily, considering they weren't traveling across the country anymore. "I mean, who knew there were so many dysfunctional partners in the bureau?" Tara chuckled.

"I'm learning the hard way! I had three stakeouts with Odenkirk last week. It's one thing being in the field with him, but sitting with him in a car for hours on end. He smells like dirty tighty whities dipped in sweat." Emily complained, eliciting grimaces from her two friends.