Compromised

"Please say your name and rank for the record."

"Supervisory Special Agent Elizabeth Reid, profiler for the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia."

"And how long have you been a member of the BAU?

"Coming up to 7 years."

"And have you worked under Agent Hotchner the entire time?"

"No, ma'am. I currently report to," Liz cleared her throat, hoping to rid of the lump that was hard to swallow. "acting unit chief, Derek Morgan."

"Who took over the unit because Agent Hotchner's ability to lead the team had become compromised."

"No."

"I'm sorry?"

"SSA Hotchner voluntarily stepped down from his position so that we could continue to do our jobs unhindered. I don't believe his ability to lead the team was compromised, he did what was best for our unit."

"How would you describe Agent Hotchner's recent behavior?"

"Unwavering."

"Unwavering. Agent Reid, your entire team is on the line if I cannot an adequate account of Agent Hotchner's investigation into George Foyet."

"We were all investigating the Reaper. SSA Hotchner was not the only one especially after he sent us that calling card."

"The newspaper articles he mailed to Karl Arnold."

"2 letters from 2 different locations. They ramped us all back up again. Allow me to start from the beginning. Foyet had done a lot of injury to himself in the original string of killings, in an effort to paint himself as a victim and throw us off the investigation. As a result, he became dependent upon a large number of extremely strong medications. We'd been searching the country for patients with that exact prescription combination, but we hadn't had any luck."

"Why mail a letter from 2 cities?" JJ questioned, clearly frustrated.

"Maybe it's purely a forensic countermeasure. He knows that mailing letters close to home would lead us right to him, so he drives far away to mail the letters to throw us off his scent." Morgan suggested.

"The unabomber did that. so did the 2001 anthrax suspect." Spencer added.

"He could have gone anywhere, but he's trolling the DC area."

"It makes sense to stay close to Hotch. He stuck around Boston to watch Shaunessy deteriorate. Not that you're-" Emily felt immense guilt at the words that left her mouth.

"It's alright." Hotch cut her off. "I know he's been watching me. It's part of the reason I stepped down, so he'd think I was falling apart."

"Okay, so what are we gonna do about the 2 cities? Usually we need 3 different points to get an accurate geographic profile. That's all we got right now. Gaithersburg, Rockville, DC, Alexandria, Bowie, Annapolis."

Garcia burst into the room. "Okay, me and the boy found a thyroid medication that has no substitute over the counter. You've gotta get it from a pharmacist. But a lot of people are on it."

"Find the midpoint between the 2 cities and isolate names in a 25-mile radius."

"153 names."

"Well, he's not going to use his own name, he's not a dumbass." Liz deadpanned. "What kind of aliases should we be looking for?"

"He could have easily stolen someone's identity."