Chapter 39

"We meet again, Vonika." Ares greeted, sitting down in front of Vonika, "Marius already told me what you reported. But my concern is the lack of information about his weaknesses you provided." He said, swirling a glass of wine in his hand.

"Because there isn't, his power is continuously growing." Vonika answered. Ares merely stared at her, looking for uncertainty in her expression, but there was none.

"Very well. I guess Hestia and those two brats will make do." Ares stated. His plan in mind was to kidnap Hestia and two of Godkiller's party members to get the upper hand.

"But I do recall Mercer's successful attempt at fighting the Godkiller. He even got his eyes, which he... regenerated." Ares dully stated, looking at Mercer.

"Forgive me for interrupting you, my God. But I only managed to injure him because he was surprised." Mercer answered truthfully, wanting to get appreciated for his honesty.

"Surprised!?" Ares lashed out, "And here I thought you actually stood a chance! I thought you were different. You're the same as this useless bitch!" Ares shouted in anger, quickly walking out and slamming the door behind him.

- The two were about to leave the room, but Veronika, Vonika's mother, walked inside, having the same disappointed look Ares had when he walked out in anger -

"So you're already here, Vonika. And you didn't even take the time to tell me." Veronika said, looking disappointedly at her daughter. Vonika immediately stood up and bowed.

"I'm sorry, Mother. Ares wanted me to report as fast as possible, but I did what you asked. I went behind enemy lines and got as much information as I could." Vonika said with a hopeful tone. Wishing she'd finally get accepted as her daughter.

"Yes, the information you provided was... beneficial, but I've heard some things about your adventure... things that I didn't like." She said with a harsh tone, blowing a plume of smoke straight into Vonika's face, causing the girl to cough.

"I-I did what I was asked to! I risked my life..." She reasoned, but Veronika slapped her across the face.

"Don't raise your voice at me!" She hissed, glaring at her daughter, who rubbed her left cheek in pain, "So you risked your life, huh?" She continued, taking a hit from her cigar pipe and blowing out the smoke.

"Risked your life!? Mercer told me you enjoyed being there! He watched from afar and saw you laughing with them! Like a goddamn plebian!" She cursed, kicking Vonika in the stomach. She tried it again, but Vonika grabbed her leg.

"Because I actually liked it there... They were like the family I never had!" Vonika retaliated, letting go of her mother's foot and standing up, "I left them for you. Why did I actually think coming back would be better!?" She shouts, raising both of her hands.

"But while I'm here. I should've done what I wanted to do ages ago!" She sneered at her mother, "Greed!" She cast, watching in joy as her mother falls to the ground.

"Something's crushing me!" Veronika shouted, feeling a heavy weight on her body, "Vonika... dear, I-I was only joking. Please undo the spell immediately." She pleads, staring at her daughter in fear. She looked at Mercer for help, but he just stood there, slowly shaking his head with a smile.

- Vonika strengthened the effect. The weight got heavier as they hear her ribcage crack. Mercer cringed at the sound, but Vonika kept going. It got heavier and heavier to the point that it crushed her heart. Veronika laid there, lifeless. Blood pouring out of her eyes, mouth, nose, and ears -