Chapter 46

"We couldn't win. The enemy side was ruthless, killing off many families just to acquire immediate soldiers from their kids." Hermes explained. You can see in his eyes how traumatic that was must've been.

"If you didn't, then what happened?" You asked. If they didn't win, how could there still be Gods in this place?

"We won because of their own mistake." Hermes said, still thankful for that accident. If that hadn't happened, this world would be crawling with Retributions now.

"One of the Retributions made the new recruit kill the one who caused their curse, and rather than taking the blunt force of punishment for freedom, he let the kid take it." Hermes continued.

"That kid was taken over by the one giving him powers, and it was powerful. A man, powered equally by both Heaven and Hell." Hermes stated, remembering how he ripped and tore anyone in his way.

"That man wiped out three-fourths of the enemies' numbers before being defeated, it gave us an opportunity, and we took it." He continued,

"Gods and Retributions, all charged to enemy territory." Hermes stated, his tone full of pride for the Gods that stood beside them that day.

"So I'm pretty sure Ares bathed in the war in those times?" You commented, seeing as Ares is a God of War, and even now, he still craves it.

"No. That coward stayed in Heaven during all this and went down once everything was done." Hermes said. You almost wanted to laugh but stopped yourself, seeing the look of sorrow on Hermes.

"Many of us Gods fell. We went into this world to experience true life with Humans... many Gods haven't even experienced that yet." Hermes said, looking down before chuckling as he remembered a good memory.

"You want to know why Ares immediately stepped down here when the battle was done?" He asked. You raised your eyebrow, curious.

"Mayari was the reason. A Philippine Goddess of combat, war, revolution, hunt, weaponry, beauty, strength, moon, and night. She's the whole package, beautiful, intelligent, and powerful." Hermes said. Many male Gods tried their luck, but either Bathala didn't allow it, or they couldn't pass Mayari's test.

"She always picked on Ares. He always proclaimed and shouted his name as a God of War. But when Mayari heard of it, she taunted him to prove his name for the title." Hermes said. Seeing Mayari chase Ares all around Heaven.

"Though, Ares always found a way to back away or escape. Maybe he knew the beating he'd get when Mayari was sent back to Heaven, so he immediately fled." Hermes said, laughing.

"Not many Gods of War survived the fight, (Y/N). They, of course, were the ones on the front lines. You know? I wish Mayari survived, at least. When she's here, she can keep Ares on a leash." Hermes joked.

"Well, that's it for the old war. After the fighting, we were victorious and just withheld all info of Retributions from the people." He said, finishing off the quick history lesson before standing up and stretching.

"Thank you for taking the time, Hermes. At least I knew something about our history. But why did you think I got that dream?" You asked, never really getting that answer.

"It's probably Adonis. I don't know what happened to him when the war ended. He survived... but he disappeared completely. I think he's just making sure. None of that happened again by showing you the outcome." Hermes answered truthfully.

- Adonis was always the type to try and take everything into his own hands. He was a morale booster back in the day... and if maybe he was still alive today, he'd still be one. -