Chapter 41

- Vonika woke up in the guest room inside the Mayor's house. The very same room (Y/N) stayed at whenever he would return from his hunts and lay low for a bit -

"He was really bent on clearing Ares' army." She muttered, staring around the room. The walls were filled with paper that had their locations. Every single one is marked out. He was successful.

"What's this?" She asked, pulling out a wooden chest underneath the bed, "More locations of Ares' generals?" She continued, slowly opening the chest.

- She immediately turns bright red at what she saw. What she thought were more locations turned out to be illustrations of severely underdressed elf and human girls. She immediately shoved the papers back in and closed the chest -

'I think I know now why he always locked himself in this room.' She thought, shivering slightly. Vonika immediately pushed the chest back under the bed and looked for other stuff there.

- Before she could continue snooping around the room. Loud knocking was heard, making the poor girl jump in surprise and fear. She hit her head on the bed frame, making her scream in pain -

"Are you okay, miss Vonika?" She heard Benedict from outside the room. She mentally cursed in pain before putting on a smile to hide the pain from the bed frame.

"Y-Yes... I'm fine." She said shakily, trying to endure it. The old man smiled and gestured outside.

"The cart is ready, miss Vonika. I'm sorry for waking you up this early, but we can't go in the afternoon. Ares' men always patrol around during that time." The man apologized, bowing in front of Vonika.

"It's okay. And I already told you, Vonika is just fine." She said, smiling at the man.

"I'm afraid I cannot. Especially the person who will be the one to look over him when I'm gone." Benedict said, giving her a sad smile.

"Don't be like that, Benedict. You talk like your death is near." Vonika said, taking in the sad look of the man.

"Death is an unpredictable thing, miss Vonika... especially for an old man like me." He answered, making Vonika look at the man in worry. But he changed into a cheerful demeanor before she could worry more.

"Well, then. You better be off, or you'll stumble upon one of Ares' patrolmen." Benedict laughed, walking with her to the door where a cart was parked outside. Along with the same man she threatened yesterday.

- Benedict helped her up the cart before going back inside. Despite his age, he is still quite strong. She sat there patiently, waiting for it to move. Not wanting to make eye contact with the man she threatened to kill yesterday -

"I'm sorry for threatening you yesterday. I-I didn't even catch your name." She said apologetically, tapping the man on the back.

"It's okay... anyone would get scared if they somehow woke up in an unfamiliar place with a person beside them holding a knife." The man laughed, "I'm Warren Guevarra, by the way." He introduced, smiling at the girl.

"I can't wait to visit Orario and meet (Y/N) again." Vonika heard. She looked in the direction of the sound and saw the half-orc girl. Talking cheerfully with her human father.

'She's actually serious about going to Orario.' Vonika sweatdropped. She had forgotten about it already. Maybe it's why the carriage wasn't leaving yet.

- She watched as the girl's father gave her a kiss on the forehead before giving Valerie her bag. It was actually quite funny to see the girl go a bit down just so her father could reach her forehead. After goodbyes were said and a bit of tears, the half-orc sat in front of Vonika, and the carriage started moving forward -