Chapter 42

- Benedict waited at the gate of the town and smiled when he saw the carriage return. He walked towards them and waited for it to stop, there they saw their worried faces -

"What's with the reactions? Did you guys encounter Ares' men?" Benedict asked, worried as he helped Vonika down the carriage.

"Well, yes... but... can we talk? In private? Inside?" She requested, not wanting to reveal (Y/N)'s secret power with the whole town. Benedict caught a glimmer of what she meant and nodded.

- Vonika called over the two, and they all headed straight for the Mayor's house. After getting in, they sat down on the dining room chairs -

"So, what's this about?" Benedict asked, clasping his hands. He saw the look in Vonika's eyes, but he still wanted to know the very question they're going to ask.

"Vonika told us that (Y/N) is different. Do you know anything about this?" Valerie asked, looking at her. Benedict sighed.

"Yes." He answered, surprising the three.

"How!? That was confidential!" Vonika shouted, staring at the man in question.

"Simple, I was an adventurer myself. My Goddess, who I will not name, was the book's editor whenever something happens before it got passed down to Hermes. I had access." Benedict answered.

"But the real question is, how do you know?" He asked, pointing at Vonika, "(Y/N) never knew, but somehow you did." He pointed out, seemingly suspicious of the girl.

"I am one." Vonika answered. Benedict was surprised, but the other two, Valerie and Warren, were clueless about what they are talking about. Benedict stared at the two and saw the guilty look on Warren's face.

"You're worse off, Warren. Did something happen that you didn't tell me?" Benedict asked. Warren didn't want to answer, but he gave out on the Mayor's glare.

"Vonika dug up the sister of (Y/N)'s grave." Warren answered. Benedict was fuming. He trusted her, and she desecrated the grave. Benedict was about to lash out, but Warren interrupted.

"The grave was empty. But... Vonika claimed she saw her inside the house... alive." Warren admitted. Benedict held his head and sat down.

"Would you two please leave for now? This topic is of no concern to both of you." Benedict requested. Warren was about to leave, but Valerie pulled him down to his seat.

"No, we already saw what happened. If you make us leave now, this will just haunt our conscience forever." Valerie reasoned, refusing to stand up from her seat.

"Very well. (Y/N) is a case called Retribution. They are those wronged at a young age and unjustly killed. Just as the name suggests, they resurrect to punish their own killers. Gaining inhuman powers ranging from increased strength to summoning." Benedict explained, so Warren and Valerie won't be out of the loop.

"And Vonika is like that too?" Valerie asked. Benedict nodded, staring at Vonika before returning his gaze at them.

- Benedict walked out of the dining room. The three waited, and he returned, carrying a rather large book in his hands. It was old and dusty -

"What is that?" Vonika asked, staring intently at the book in Benedict's hands. The Mayor dropped it down on the table.

"This is a list of every known Retribution... a bit outdated but still." Benedict said, opening the book.

"Isn't that supposed to be in possession of a God?" Vonika asked. Benedict chuckled, remembering his time as an adventurer and child of Goddess Iris.