Chapter 28: Mashed Potatoes

"Bree!" Kitty called out as she rushed into their house. It was early, but she figured she had probably left for work already, since Riley had already returned from school and gone back to sleep. However, Bree came downstairs seconds later, already fully dressed though she looked pretty sleep deprived.

"Please don't yell," she said.

"It's a Tuesday afternoon and you're hungover?" Kitty asked, taking a quick pause.

Bree responded, "I'm not hungover. I just... I was up all night last night finalizing some things and I'm exhausted. I really don't think I can handle any more stress in my life."

"Well then," Kitty took a deep breath, "you may want to hide out somewhere." She looked down at her watch and said, "Biggest life stressor coming in about, uh, three seconds."

"What are you talking about?" Bree said, a knock on the door ending her sentence.

She didn't get a chance to make it to the door when it burst open and a thin, blonde woman walked in. "Oh, Bree," she began in a low, posh manner. "It's so nice to see you. And what a lovely home!"

"Thank you.. Patricia...." Bree responded slowly, surprised to see her and in their home. She gave Kitty a look and the latter just shrugged apologetically.

"It's so nice that Kitty's living with you now," Patricia continued. "I have to tell you that when she told me she was coming back to Lima, I thought for sure it was to sink down with those awful other friends of hers. I'm glad you came with her to keep her focused."

"Mother..." Kitty mumbled, embarrassed.

"Ugh, and don't even get me started on that little Hispanic girl," Patricia continued. "What was her name, Katherine?"

"Juliet," Bree answered politely, wanting to do so many things to hurt the woman but knowing better than to get on her bad side.

"Right, Shakespearean something," Patricia shrugged. "Anyway, this week is Thanksgiving and everyone is on holiday so I figured I'd come here and spend it with you two. Have a lovely meal and wine and great—Ahh!"

Bree and Kitty followed the latter's mother's panicked gazed and discovered Riley emerging from the staircase. "What's for lunch?" the teen asked casually. "I'm really in the mood for some... Whoa, who's the hag?"

"Ah!" Patricia made a gesture as though she was fainting, so Bree held onto her.

"Riley, this is my mother," Kitty said, giving the girl a look.

Riley gaped at her, unsure of how to  respond. Finally she said, "Oh."

"Kitty, who is this?" Patricia asked her daughter.

"This is Riley," Kitty responded coyly.

Her mother gave her a look and said, "I know that... But who is she?"

"She's this girl from our high school," Kitty began to explain as carefully as she could to avoid a big blowout. "Bree and I have been letting her stay here."

"And her parents?" her mother wondered.

"I'm emancipated," Riley answered, not wanting any other details revealed.

"Doesn't that mean you're expected to be on your own?" Patricia asked her directly now. "Who are your parents? And do you pay rent? Do you pitch in for food and other supplies? Are you supporting yourself or leeching off of my daughter and her friend?"

Riley turned to Bree and muttered, "She scares me." It was a freaky reminder of her own mother, who she hadn't seen in years.

"I know," Bree whispered. She turned to the Wilde pair and said, "I actually have to go to work now so unfortunately I can't stick around and chat any longer." Riley nudged her ribs, forcing her to add, "Riley is coming with me. Nice to see you again!" Bree and Riley hurried out the front door as soon as they could, despite Riley being in pajamas.