Chapter 73: That Awkward Moment When Alex Ruins Everything

When Alex opened his door just minutes after returning home from the wedding, he was surprised to find Sam standing there, a desperate look on his face. 

"Where is she?" he asked, walking in and looking around. "Where's Julie? I tried to hold back but I couldn't resist showing up here so please go tell her she needs to come out here and talk to me or I'll storm into her room. I'll break the door if I have to."

Alex laughed. "Ok," he nodded. "But it won't make any sense since Julie's not even here."

"Well where is she?" Sam demanded to know.

Calmly taking a seat, Alex answered, "At Kitty's. Probably asleep by now. And tomorrow she's going to be in meetings all day. Business meetings. With Tracy Moore."

Sam's focus waned a bit as he asked, "What business does Julie have with the princess of country music?"

Alex shrugged. "Can't say," he told him.

"Well can you say this?" Sam asked. "Is she really pregnant? Are we having a baby?" Alex remained silent, surprised by both Sam's knowledge of the situation and his bluntness in asking about it. "I overheard Sebastian," Sam added.

Before he could say anything else, Alex muttered, "Damn... I'm an idiot... I knew I should've waited to tell him about it somewhere more private."

"That was you?" Sam asked, shocked. "I only heard Sebastian's side of the... So then it's true... But... Why would you tell him? And why wouldn't she tell me?"

"He wanted Julie to negotiate herself some concerts where she has to dance and put on a show," Alex sighed, seeing no use in hiding anything anymore. "He was even talking about getting her on dancing with the stars. But obviously, Julie can only do so much safely so she has to stick to sitting down, doing ballads, that sort of thing. We got into a fight about it so finally I had to tell him the truth to prepare him for the meetings they'll be in."

Sam nodded and took a seat, feeling sick and weak. "I'm going to be a father," he said after a long period of silence.

"Again," Alex added. Sam looked up at him, glaring, so he said, "Sorry. That was insensitive. This isn't making you sad about the baby you and Mandy lost, is it?"

"A little but..." Sam looked up at him. "Julie's the love of my life. Having a baby... With her... It's everything I could've asked for. But she didn't want to tell me about it, did she?" Alex didn't answer, not wanting to hurt the guy's feelings even more. "I just don't get it, Alex. I've said everything I could say. I chose her. Shouldn't that be enough?"

"She's just scared," Alex said in response. "That you won't be serious this time or that you'll leave. You need to remind her of how much you love her so that she won't think you're just sticking around for the kid's sake. What I think you should do is keep your mouth shut. Show her what it's like when you two are getting along and act like you don't know there's more at stake now. Then she'll tell you on her own."

Sam considered that and nodded. That's exactly what he planned to do, but first, there was one person he had to talk to.

***

"So you don't want me to tell her that she's pregnant?" John asked as he and Sam sat together in the board room. Julie had just gone in for one of many phone conferences with Sebastian in the latter's office, so this was Sam's best chance to talk to John before he said anything and ruined the plan.

"She knows she's pregnant," Sam rolled his eyes, wondering how he was ever considered the dumb one of the two. "She doesn't know we know and I want to keep it that way."