Chapter 53: Three is a Party

"Ryder left?" Julie exclaimed as she gathered for another monthly brunch with the rest of her friends at Kitty and Bree's house. On this Monday morning, the group consisted of Alex, Bree, Kitty, Dan, John, Sam, and Mandy. Nobody else could make it.

"Yup," Kitty nodded. "And the only people he told were Jake and Harmony. And of course, Marley. She went with him."

"Marley?" Bree and Julie responded in unison this time.

"But—" Bree stammered, confused. "He was dating Harmony just last week and now with—How? He didn't tell me anything." Kitty rubbed her back suddenly as she repeated, "He didn't."

"I just know because of Jake," Kitty shrugged. "He says that Ryder got a really good job opportunity in Florida and he had to go be there almost immediately. He asked Harmony and Marley to go with him but only Marley wanted to."

"Yeah, Harmony told me that much," Dan sighed. "She didn't want to talk about it, though, so I don't really have anything to add."

Alex gave his two cents quickly, adding that, "Can Ryder even afford to make a big, risky move like this?"

John nodded. "He just got this big inheritance. But I guess Harmony didn't think the same way."

"Great," Sam shook his head. "So now that's two less friends by my side for my wedding? Marley was supposed to be a bridesmaid."

"I'm sure he'll come back," Julie attempted to reassure both him and Mandy. "Marley and Ryder love you guys. They wouldn't miss your wedding."

"I am going to kill Ryder," Bree went on. "After all I did to help him begin his relationships with both Marley and Harmony, he just takes off like that. Unbelievable."

"On another note," John rolled his eyes, "is there any progress on Sebastian?"

"He gets hotter every day," Julie joked.

"Stop," Alex told her. "I'm getting fake jealous."

"Sowwy," Julie responded in a baby voice. "But seriously, I have no clue. Santana was head of the mission and suddenly she's his BFF. Then we sent Luke in and we all know how that worked out. I don't know what else to do."

"Amity and Stefan were up to something," John shrugged. "Maybe they have news?"

"Amity and Stefan?" Alex repeated. John nodded. "Weird..." he mumbled.

"Speaking of Stefan," Kitty began, taking the conversation on another route. Mandy excused herself from the table and headed to the restroom. John also stood up and followed.

Out by the kitchen, he asked, "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "I just started to feel a bit—I don't know—out of place. Everyone here knows each other and just look how sad they were to hear that Ryder and Marley moved. I was just like, 'Oh' and that's it."

John scratched his head. "You need friends."

"I have friends," she responded.

"No, Lima friends," he clarified. "High school doesn't end. You need to be with the in crowd to feel like you're in. And who was the in crowd?" Mandy didn't answer. "Satan's Trident."

"The what-a-what?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Bree, Kitty and Julie," John explained. "Let me break it down for you. When we were in high school, being friends with them was like being untouchable. Just ask any of the others. The jocks and the cheerleaders were jerks to most of them until the top girls stood up for them. And they were the top girls. Things haven't changed. I assure you that just getting those three to like you will place you right at the center of our... circle... or whatever."