Chapter 56: Sink or Swim

"Oh yeah?" Jake said as he appeared at the doorway. He quickly helped Riley up and then got into a wrestling match with her father. As the two struggled to overpower each other, Riley rushed into the room and begin untying the women she considered older sisters and sometimes even mothers.

Jake, who was coherent and stable, had the upper-hand in the fight and managed to get the guy on the ground. Once the women were up, they tried to help but he warned them to stay back.

"Be careful," he said. "The guy is close to blacking out but you never know... Just don't get close. Call the cops." Bree nodded and searched for her phone. Jake continued to hold down the intruder, who he now had warranted reason to put behind bars. Kitty hugged Riley, afraid of what would happen if she ever let her go.

***

"How did you know to show up?" Kitty asked Jake when he showed up for breakfast with her the next day. Riley's father was in prison, Riley was in school, and Bree was at work, probably planning Mandy's party. Everything was back into place.

"I was worried," Jake shrugged. "I told you and Riley to check in with me yesterday but neither of you did. And I just didn't trust the situation, not with the way that man was staring at you at the court hearing. I had a gut feeling."

Kitty walked around the table to Jake and put her arms around him. "You're always coming to my rescue..." she whispered gratefully. "When will it by my turn to save you?"

Jake smiled. "You're too busy saving everybody else," he told her. "Which reminds me, have you heard back about the adoption? Any progress?"

"They have to keep trying to reach Riley's mother," Kitty sighed, leaning against the table right in front of where Jake was sitting down. "But with her scum of a father behind bars, our chances are much much higher now."

"Good," Jake nodded. "I am so relieved that we got him already, Kitty. Last night when I saw him, shouting at you and pushing Riley around... I saw my father. Drunk and hopeless. But then... Then I saw me. I saw me and what my future would've been like without you and Ryder and Julie and Marley and everyone who has helped me get on the right path."

Kitty shook her head. "Even without us there that wouldn't happen to you," she assured him. "You're too good. Great, really." Jake smiled and Kitty realized this was as good a time as ever to pop her question. She cleared her throat and said, "Before this whole mess started a few days ago I wanted to ask you something..."

"Oh, right," Jake noted. "I remember. What was it?"

She nervously fiddled with the loose lace of her shirt and then looked up and said, "I was just thinking... You're single... I'm single... We're both going to be at Sam's wedding..."

"You want us to go together?" Jake asked.

"Not as dumb as you look, Puckerman," she said with a nervous smile.

Jake laughed. "I was thinking of going alone," he told her honestly. "But... I think it'd be a lot more fun if I went with you."

***

["Black Magic" by Little Mix. This is my current jam!]

Shana, Amity, Julie and Kitty stood together in the choir room, striking their own individual poses, as the music began and the New Directions cheered them on. Shana had already spent the previous day teaching them the choreography and, being the rock stars that they were, they all followed along pretty nicely.

All: All the girls on the block knocking at my door! Wanna know what it is make the boys want more!

When Kitty began to sing, the kids went wild. With everything she'd been through recently, she was as much or even more of a celebrity in Lima as her friends.