Chapter 70: The Biggest Heartbreak

When Alex finally made it home, he found Julie standing by the bathroom, holding something behind her back. "What's up?" he asked, wondering why her eyes were bright and she was shaking. "Are you feeling bad again? Craving the drugs or something?"

She shook her head. "No," she said weakly, showing him the pregnancy stick she was holding.

He scratched his head and then said, "Ok, we need to get the team back together and start interviewing everyone who has been here in the last few days. We know it's not Quinn and we know it's not any of the girls who no longer have sex with men... So—"

"Alex, Alex, stop," Julie said, putting her empty hand up to signal him to stop. "Stop... It's not any of the other girls." Alex remained still, unable to process what she was saying. "It's me," she told him finally. "I'm the one that's pregnant."

Alex opened his mouth and it slowly shaped into an 'o' before he asked, "Who did you... Sebastian or..? Because he's dating Luke as far as I know and..."

Julie pressed her lips together, her face thin and worried as she realized that her whole life would now change. "Remember in Hawaii when Sam and I disappeared for a night and then things got weird?" she asked. "Well... I guess I was really messed up when I showed up in his suite and we... Well... And now I'm late and according to this, it's because I'm..."

"Oh..." he responded. "Wow, I had no idea you and Sam had... Ok... So what do you want to do next?"

She wanted badly to come up with an answer for him but she couldn't. "I honestly don't know," she answered. "All I know is that this changes everything."

***

"Where is it?" Amity asked as she walked into the recording studio the next day and found Dan there. "Where's the alleged new song?"

"About that..." he told her. "As it turns out, the song was a better fit for the band so... They're getting it..."

"Of course they are," Amity sat down and sighed. "Ugh... I really didn't want to come in today but we have to get some new tracks down for this album."

"Are you ok?" he asked, taking a seat beside her. "I feel like you've been acting strange lately. What's been going on?"

"I guess I'm more transparent than I thought," she answered. "The thing is... I found out something my mom had been keeping from me. And I spent all last night talking to her about it but... It just felt like my whole life changed in the blink of an eye. I sort of wish I'd never found out."

"Found out what?" he asked, confused.

Amity looked around, took a deep breath, and then answered, "My dad's alive." Dan's eyes widened but he stayed silent, giving her a chance to talk. "I found out because of your reporter friend, who had been investigating all of us and figured out that he never died. I don't know if she plans on releasing this information, blackmailing me, who knows... All I know is that I thought my father was a smoker who wasn't able to stop on time to save himself. But now I know that he was just a man who didn't love us enough to stick around when he no longer wanted to be with my mother. He just left her. I've been trying to understand why she couldn't just tell me that and then I realized that she was trying to help me grow up the way I did. But still, I was surprised regardless and I wish I had either known the truth from the start or never found out."

Dan didn't say anything, giving a few moments for this new information to sink in. "So what now?" he asked.

She shrugged. "Honestly, I don't know... I made peace with my mom and she had to go back home... So I don't know where that leaves me moving forward. I don't know if I want to search for my dad, pretend he's dead, or who knows... All I know is that things are different now. Things are going to change, for all of us, for me... Everything is different."