Chapter 66: Charitable Day

"Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy," Stefan mumbled as he ate breakfast. He was having a pretty relaxing morning when a knock on his door interrupted him.

He opened up and saw Bree standing there with a big smile. "Hi," she told him. "I know today is supposed to be your 'chill day' and that it's pretty early and all but... I missed an important flight and now I need you to drive me somewhere."

"Where?" Stefan nodded eagerly.

"Umm..." Bree looked at him apologetically. "New York City? If we leave now we'll get there at around five and I need to be there by seven because it will take about—"

"I have a better idea," Stefan stopped her. "I happen to have a very good friend with a very private plane. Ready to be there in just an hour or two?"

***

Just as Stefan had promised, he and Bree arrived in New York City in just under two hours, with plenty of time to spare.

"So this is the Madison Square Garden?" Bree asked as she showed her stylist pass to the bodyguard at the backstage section. "There are so many big acts playing today... How are we going to find them?"

Bree had no idea that she had already been walking alone until she turned around and spotted Stefan standing by an open dressing room, his jaw dropped.

"You're on for your rehearsal in thirty minutes," a woman was saying as Stefan watched in awe. "Tracy, did you get that?"

"Yes, Angie," a blonde, curly-haired young girl appeared. "I have to go practice so that I don't have a nip slip or anything else showing during the concert. Who am I singing with again?"

"Blake Shelton, Eric Church, Seth Whitmore, Carrie Underwood and Miranda—" Angie responded.

"Got it, got it," Tracy nodded, waving her away. "That's perfect. Divas, washed up singers. This is 2021. Can't I sing with people who are fresh and young?"

"You're singing with the biggest stars in country music," Angie responded, shaking her head.

Tracy rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

Stefan was about to introduce himself and make his presence known when another, older man stepped into the room and said, "Ready to go, Tracy?"

"I thought I had thirty minutes?" Tracy responded, annoyed.

"For the dress rehearsal," he nodded. "But we need to do a quick sound check."

Tracy shook her head and stood up. "You're my manager, Willy. You're supposed to ensure that mistakes like these don't happen." Stefan watched dumbfounded as the country star walked past him and down the hall.

"Whoa..." he mumbled as Bree appeared beside him once again.

"Earth to Stefan?" she said.

"Sorry," he responded, watching Tracy round the hall and disappear. "Do you have any idea who that was? That... That was Tracy Moore."

"Oh right," Bree nodded. "I've heard of her. Major diva. Nutcase. Yeah."

"Like today's Taylor Swift," Stefan added.

Bree scoffed, "Taylor Swift is today's Taylor Swift. That girl doesn't even reach her heels."

"She's a little short," he agreed, taking it literally.

Bree rolled her eyes and said, "Come on. We have to go meet our friends, remember?"

***

The allure of having almost met Tracy Moore did not ware off easily. Rehearsals went by quickly, however. After Bree got everyone their clothes, they tried it all on and approved. Then it was time to rehearse for two hours and things were definitely tense.